Super 8 movie film

Hello,

Recently I digitized an old 8mm movie film in Mp4 format. In Shotcut software, is there something special to select about the video mode (resolution & frame per second)?
Please let me know, I am a beginner.
Thank you, regards.

Change the frame rate in the video mode to 18. Then, if your video is not 18 (a lot of times digitized film is not stored at the correct frame rate), you can use Properties > Speed to adjust it by taking a simple fraction. For example, if the video was recorded at 20 fps like my Wolverine MovieMaker does, then I use a speed factor of 0.9 (18/20) to slow it. I also use Crop: Source to clean up the edges and Stabilize to smooth the footage. The mechanics of most of these cameras were not very stable and produced a lot of vertical judder.

Another thing I do with the Video Mode. After I use the Crop: Source video filter to remove a bad edge, I adjust the dimensions of the Video Mode to compensate. For my MovieMaker captures, I need to remove 46 pixels from the left edge to remove some sprocket holes. So, I subtract 46 from the width. Aspect ratio matches the resolution so I keep the square pixels that were captured.

If you need to conform this to a 4:3 display aspect ratio or incorporate it into another work that is 4:3 or 16:9, then you need to make some decisions. You could compute a new height using width*3/4 and then remove the difference from the source in equal amounts from the top and bottom in Crop: Source. For my example, I could use 1394 x 1046. 1080 - 1046 = 34

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer. Where is the Stabilize option in the Shotcut software? I cannot find it.

Thank you very much for your help.
André

It is a video filter applied to a selected clip (not a track).

When I open Properties, there is nothing, no speed factor. What is the problem?
Thank you, regards.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.