Subtitles- help

ok but this video is completely useless for me : i do not see any action

And, so, during all the subtitle, the audio track is completely transformed. Even I close the sound track and add a new audio track with the same sound : sound completely modified !!

I hit, only one time, to add a subtitle on a mp4 video and was happy. On windows7 engine. I use now a win10, shotcut version 190914 continue to work fine
But now : unsuccess with all my subtitles !!!

I have read that adding subtitles is very easy with shotcut. Many hours after, no subtitles for me !!
Where is/are my errors in this scenario ?

I open my mp4, add a sound track and a video track and move this mp4 in the video track

I create a SECOND video track and, after, ā€˜open otherā€™
colour
ok
filters
plus
video
text simple
police
colour ok (this modify the colour of the text)
i then modify the text and drag it in V2 video track

i see my subtitle and my video but the sound is now very very chopped and this problem resist to a reset of the win10 engine
So my question is now ā€œwho is able to subtitle a video without modification of the sound ? and able to explain me clearly ?ā€
Many many thanks

New try : open my mp4, adding only 2 video tracks ā€¦
itā€™s useless to add a sound track for my mp4 : i ear the sound BUT the subtitle transforms completely the sound (although the filter is only a video track and not a sound track)

I think that if I want to add 3 subtitles, I must do 3 successive mp4 after the first !

If i do not drag the subtitle in the V2 video track and use the BIG +, the subtitle is added and chop my sound during all his duration !!!

My conclusions after many tryes
Adding a subtitle with shotcut is VERY heavy :frowning_face: although it must be very easy
videoA ok ; the sound is ok but no subtitle
videoB : with subtitle : the sound track is totally unusable as long as the subtitle is present
I spend more than 60 hours to do my foortages and not possible to add only one text

Hi @p7m13 - sorry to hear you are still having trouble with subtitles. Did you take a look at my short tutorial video (I posted it earlier in post #23 of this thread ā€¦) ā€¦?

https://streamable.com/2okvm

Adding a subtitle clip on V2 should NOT affect the sound of the video on V1 at all.

Iā€™d really like to help ā€¦ if still not working, could you make a screen capture of what you are doing so someone can see where you are going wrong? I use ShareX for screen-captureā€¦

Are you saying that the sound on the EXPORTED video is unusable, or the sound when you play it in the ā€œpreview paneā€ in Shotcut?

here p7m13 with a new count new_p7m13 (because here NOT possible to login to my count p7m13 !!!)

I do what you indicate in your video
My version was hereup indicated . I recognize my sound but this sound is TOO VERY choped : I refuse to accept this modification. And iā€™m looking to search a new software
You write that subtitle can not modify the audio track. Itā€™s not the case with my dozen tries !! Have you try to add a subtitle to a mp4 (with a sound) ?

try this and your sound track will be transformed
I open my mp4, add a sound track and a video track and move this mp4 in the video track

I create a SECOND video track and, after, ā€˜open otherā€™
colour
ok
filters
plus
video
text simple
police
colour ok (this modify the colour of the text)
i then modify the text and drag it in V2 video track

i see my subtitle and my video but the sound is now very very chopped

the sound when you play it in the ā€œpreview paneā€ in Shotcut

Yesterday I planify to export the subtitled mp4, in order to see if the bug persists. But, here, I canā€™t not use my shotcut application neither downloading shotcut : because the administrators are afraid by virus

I choose OpenShot : downloading is done but not possible to do anything : no access !

Iā€™m VERY VERY tired and disappointed with this bullshit software.

there is now NO modification of my sound BUT my track disappers when the ā€˜subtitleā€™ is here !!

What I do :
I open 2 video tracks
I move my mp4 in the video1
I click on ā€œouvrir autreā€ then ā€œcolourā€ then ā€œokā€ then ā€˜colourā€™ again !! then black
then filters, then +, then video then ā€˜text simpleā€™ then ā€˜policeā€™ then pink then ok then my text

then i move my work in the video2 track: no modif of my sound but pink subtitle REPLACE my video

So allways the same thing : Iā€™m looking to find the tutoriel which works fine at any time to subtitle a sounded mp4 without modification of the sound track

[https://streamable.com/2okvm ] : how can I stop and resume and stop again this video ? In order to see EACH action !

Yesterday not possible to halt and resume this video. Doing exactly the same click, I hit now. Subtilities of win10. So, if I have the chance to have the SAME version of shotcut, after study of this video, Iā€™ll be perheaps able to have these titles in my video

Your outburst will not help your cause, it will only serve to antagonize those that would otherwise help you.

Work through examples and tutorials slowly, one step at a time, master it and then move on.
Keep in mind too that Shotcut is primarily an editing program and therefore will not be as good as a dedicated subtitling application, the right tool for the right job.

If you are prepared to put up with certain limitations, Shotcut can put text over video, countless others have done it, the problem then has to be with your method.

I am closing this old and confusing thread. Shotcut does not provide subtitle features at this time. It only provides titling. Technically, correct subtitling means upon export the title is not part of the video image but rather timed text in a file. What this thread was originally about is simply text. It then diverged toward burning subtitles into the video.

1 Like