Subtitles- help

Actually the “down arrow” does affect other clips. If the playhead is on a clip, the clip will be over written.

Ah yes, you are right, sauron. Thanks. My turn for a “D’oh” for not noticing that :grinning:

To embed a text on a clip:
-select the clip
-click on the tab “filter”
-click on the sign “+”
-in the list of video filters choose “Text”
-On the video player automatically appears a time code ex: 00: 01: 06: 04
-in the left window in front of “text” replace # timecode # with the desired title.
-The size of the font and the positioning of the text on the image is done by moving the frame with the mouse.
Note:
the text is present for the duration of the clip
to appear only on a portion of the clip just isolate a portion of this clip between two cuts.

1 Like

Thank you all for the help :slight_smile:

I do not seen here any video !! How can I add a subtitle ?

Hi @p7m13, the video below is not specifically aimed at subtitles but shows how to add text. The principle for subtitles is the same though:

I also devised a method of adding “Instant Subtitles” which uses Keyboard macro program AutoHotKey in conjunction with Shotcut:

Also, if you’d something “advanced” (ie using HTML/webvfx), forum member @elusien has developed a way of adding subtitles via his “subtitles generator”. Search this forum for “elusien subtitles” and you should find a few links.
Here is @elusien’s shotcut site: Shotcut WebVfx Framework

My Shotcut version is 190914 and the tool has NOTHING to do with this footage. I repeat my question : WHAT MUST I DO to obtain a subtitle ?? Thanks. Why can I have in my tool ‘preset’ or ‘filters’ ??

Your reply is terse and grumpy. I spent a long time replying to you, in good faith that it would help you. You do not seem grateful. You do not explain what you mean by “tool”. Your last sentence is not grammatically correct. I will not be replying to you again.

thank you for this answer that brings me nothing at all.
Asked to all others helpers : how to control the duration of the subtitle as well as the moment when it begins ??

It seems you want to use a filter called subtitles or something similar, which does not exist.
Jonray described three ways to add subtitles, so I will not rehash them. If you have a .srt subtitle file, you can use the aforementioned WebVfx to add the lines to your video.
You have to explain your needs precisely. What tool are you referring to? Why does it not have any relation with “this footage”?

This is just completely incomprehensible.

This depends on how you want to add them, so state your situation clearly.
As a simple text: Extend or shorten the text clip.
With Elusien’s WebVfx: Change the timings.

Please refrain from unfriendly replies. Jonray is willing to help you and many others on this forum with expansive posts and tutorials, no need to be so harsh. If you are not satisfied, just ask again with more details. There are many people willing to help you. But if you insist on being vague and grumpy, you will quickly find yourself without help.

1 Like

My shotcut is 190914.
I open my .mp4.
I go to the correct time.
I click on “filters” then “+” then “video” then “text: simple”. I suppress the “#timecode” and write my single line of commentary. I modify the colour of this single line. Now, the subtitle is good for me.
How can I setup the duration of this subtitle ? Many thanks

1. You open the keyframes panel by View > Keyframes. I do not know how the initial setup is, since I moved the panel. I think it was a separate tab below the timeline.
  2. Make sure the “Text: Simple” filter is selected in the filters list.
  3. Use the vertical handles in the keyframes panel to adjust the start and end point.

Another way is to open a transparent colour clip by File > Open Other > Colour. Insert the clip by dragging from the preview into the timeline. Add a text filter to it and then change the length of the clip.

Open other
Color
Color
Black
0 four times
Ok ok

Filter
+
Video
Text simple
Color pink : I see the subtitle and its duration is good for me

Add video 1
Transfert of this slide to video 1

Add video 2
Open mp4 file
Transfert of this mp4 to video2

play : I see mp4, but without the subtitle

Missed !

Would this short tutorial video make the process clearer? I had no time to add a voiceover or subtitles, but it may give you an idea of how to do it. If it’s still not helpful for your needs, I’d appreciate if you could be polite about my efforts to help you :grinning: !! Thank you.

https://streamable.com/2okvm

1 Like

Just as a picture paints a thousand words, this video shows simply, easily and without any ambiguity how to add a subtitle. Well done Jon.

Many thanks for your footage. If you compare your actions (your footage) and my previous (very detailed) response, have you seen any difference ???
What’s your version ?
I create my subtitle (with colour #000000 or #ffffff), I have -like you- V1 and V2, I do what you show and unfortunately I do not seen my subtitle !
I work with a mp4 with sound but I’m sure that the sound is not the reason of the miss !

If this is what you did, then you have the two tracks in the wrong order. The MP4 video should be on track 1 (V1) and the subtitle on track 2 (V2).

Where can I simply deposit a footage of what I make from the beginning to the end (of this miss) ?

hi @p7m13, your subtitle needs to be on a transparent background, not a colour. is this the problem?

PS version is not the problem, I’m on 19.10. Sound isn’t the problem either!! :grinning:

for me the html must be #000000
I test that right now with subtitle in video 2, not 1