Instant Subtitles! (Creating subtitles automatically as if by magic)

Hi folks,
I thought of a way of automating a process in Shotcut whereby you can create a whole series of subtitle clips (or any text) just by pressing a couple of keys (“hotkeys”) to start the process.

The method uses Shotcut in conjunction with AutoHotKey, a free keyboard macro program.

It’ a little complex to explain, (but well worth it when you get it going), so I just made this tutorial video and put it on Youtube:

It works by running a short AutoHotKey script. Try it out yourself - the script is here. It’s a .txt file, so you’ll need to change the extension to .ahk once downloaded:

INSTANT LYRICS SUBTITLES script (by Jonray).txt (524 Bytes)

I’ve also uploaded the AHK file to GoogleDrive:

Please let me know what you think! And also if I’ve made any glaring errors in my tutorial video…

3 Likes

Fantastic work.
I use to add Lyrics to a song within the Rocksmith 2014 game, the Ultrastar Song Creator software.
I never knew if the result obtained in Ultrastar could be implemented in Shotcut.

Ultrastar creator

That’s nice. Can someone add a video here that was created using this technique?

Video made with @jonray’s “instant subtitles” technique.

https://streamable.com/j1zc9

Took little over 30 minutes to make.

Modifying the AHK script to work with my layout took a while. Once it was running, worked like a charm.

This script works with AHK to keep notepad or any other application on top.

On Top.ahk.txt (59 Bytes)

Keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + Space.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Great video, I’ve been hip-hopping around to this all morning - and singing along… Not pretty…:smile::smile:

@sauron, thanks for trying it out - I was hoping for someone to test it.

Did you just have to change the mouse positions? Did the keyboard shortcuts all work for you OK?

That’s ingenious - I never thought of doing it with another AHK script. Thank you.

Just an aside - how did you make the Ctrl Shift and Space icons come out with the grey boundary boxes in your post above? Looks cool…

Only the mouse positions. The shortcuts worked fine.

I use a virtual desktop application that has an always keep on top function. Searched for a way to keep windows on top found the AHK script here.

Copied and pasted from this page.

Thanks @sauron, some useful tips there.

I had fun making this little tutorial video yesterday and today - @sauron and @elusien (plus a few others) may remember the “ALIEN SONG” clip which was featured in a thread about 2 years ago (!) (when discussing @elusien’s subtitle generator)…

https://streamable.com/nxkog

If you haven’t seen the Alien Song video, it’s so funny…

2 Likes

surround each word with <kbd></kbd> Here is a silly example. More work than needed in my opinion, but I might start using it in the documentation.

1 Like

Thanks @shotcut. Cool! Just wondering if there is a list somewhere of all the tags which can format the text on this forum, apart from the usual bold, italic, lists?

See here for a definitive list of all HTML tags, including those for formatting:

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_byfunc.asp

e.g.

<del> STRIKEOUT
<h1>

HEADING

<sub> subscript
<sup> superscript
1 Like

Thanks @elusien and @shotcut. Helpful as ever :+1: