Strange whirring intermittent sound at the end of clips on timeline

I am experiencing a strange problem which occasionally happens.
The problem occurs with the latest version of Shotcut (V19.12.31)
Maybe I am doing something wrong but I don’t think so. I edit the various clips from my camera (Canon SX280HS, add them to the playlist. Resolution of the clips is 1980 x 1080 / 29.97 frames / sec
After I am finished with the play list I select all and add them to the timeline.
Sometimes when I play back the timeline I get a whirring sound for maybe 0.2 to 0.5s just before the end of the clip and just before the new clip starts. Even after encoding i get this strange whirring sound.
Strangely enough if I lift the problematic clip and put the same clip from the time line into it’s position I don’t have this problem.
On the older version of Shotcut I never had this problem, I haven’t used the program for 2 months and it never happened to me on the older versions.

Timeline: Click on Master, then Properties.
What does this say?
2020-01-20_17-06-50

Click on one of your problem clips, then Properties.
What does this say?
2020-01-20_17-06-10

I did what you said, this is the result

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Aspect ratio: 1920 x 1080
Frame rate: 29.97 fps
Scan mode: Progressive
Color space: ITU-R BT.709

Please find the screenshots

Same resolution, same frequency. if fact the whole time line is made from clips from the same camera.

I looked at a spec sheet on that camera and it mentioned AVC. Do the video files from that camera end with a .MTS or .M2TS extension? If so, do you get the whirring noise if you first do Convert to Edit-Friendly? For some reason, FFmpeg can have a really hard time with AVC MTS files but does fine if they are converted to something else.

edited for correct information

Actually, no, 29.97.0030 is more accurate than 29.97 because the full frame rate is 30000/1001. This is not indicative of variable frame rate.

I just reproduced the problem. There is not easy way to fix an existing project, but you can workaround the problem by using drag-n-drop instead of Add Selected to Timeline.
I fixed this for the next version.

Thank you. I will have to wait for the next version of Shotcut then

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.