Shotcut Tutorial: How to Create a Split Screen to Add a Dramatic Effect to Your Cinematic Video

Great use case. I usually do it slowly appearing from top to bottom or bottom to top

1 Like

Yes. Agreed. I could’ve added how to use SPR to center the focus on each panel

I try to make the tutorials as purely Shotcut as possible. I do use external programs when there is a need. In this one, there is no need. It’s just a good nice-to-have. Plus, once you do it once one Shotcut, you can save it as a preset.

A great question for @brian & @shotcut… I know that we cannot upload transition presets like Resolve and Premiere, but can those saved presets from the filter drop-down be transferable? Like moving it from computer to computer or sharing to others?

1 Like

Yes. Very easily.

The presets are stored in the presets directory:

When you create a new preset for a filter, it is stored in the folder for that preset.

For example, on my computer, if I create a preset named “asdf” for the contrast filter, the preset file is stored in:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Meltytech\Shotcut\presets\contrast\asdf

I could send you that asdf file, and you could copy it to your contrast folder and it would show up in your Shotcut presets.

1 Like

If I had a bunch of complex presets I’ve already created, how can I easily share those files to other Shotcut users. Maybe think about an “add preset” to the filter drop down further down in the roadmap?

And this is the list of all their locations.

1 Like

The techie in me would know how to navigate the folder structure to load the files. But could there be an easier way inside the program itself?

There is:
shotcut_2021-07-25_13-38-20

Edit: perhaps you mean without using folder access.

1 Like

I mean loading the presets directly from the filter interface

1 Like

The could be added. But first we would want to add some kind of validation to the file format so that Shotcut can check for valid file contents before accepting arbitrary files inexperienced users.

1 Like

We can start slow. Not all filters yet, but it would be great to start with SRP & Masks

Simple for people with some experience. Tutorials are mainly created to help people with very little experience.

1 Like

Je suis totalement d’accord, les possibilités sont multiples.
Voici un exemple réalisé en application de ce tutoriel.
Pour augmenter un peu la difficulté, j’ai ajouté des animations d’entrée, un liseret entre les images ainsi qu’un filtre SPR pour les recadrer
Réalisé sur V20.09.27 (qui dispose du filtre Mask: Simple shape d’@Elusien avec les images-clés sur le paramètre Rotation), sans recours à d’autres logiciels externes.
J’ai utilisé des images fixes, je n’ai pas de vidéos aussi attrayantes que celles de @Bentacular :star_struck:

I totally agree, there are many possibilities.
Here is an example made using this tutorial.
To increase the difficulty, I added some input animations and a border between the images as well as a SPR filter to crop them
Made on V20.09.27 (which has @Elusien’s Mask: Simple shape filter with the keyframes on the Rotation parameter), without using any other external software.
I used still images, I don’t have videos as attractive as those of @Bentacular :star_struck:

https://streamable.com/0i5a8r

5 Likes

Nice work @namna!

1 Like

Another fine tutorial with all steps carefully and clearly explained to help many users. Great work as usual @bentacular! PS I could listen to your voice all day. Smooth… :grin: :+1:

1 Like

LOL! Thanks. I can record something and put it on loop if you’re looking for an easy way to fall asleep…

1 Like

Some examples of how this can be used

1 Like

Awesome work!

1 Like

Another attempt at applying a variant of this technique. Not super great, but not too bad either.

3 Likes

A great way to segue from one scene to another

1 Like