Shotcut - Making static or motionless transitions

Hi there :grinning:

I am want to know how to do a transition between 2 clips where someone is speaking but the transition should be seamless, in the sense that the viewer should not be able to even tell that there has been a transition.

Is it possible to do such a motionless transition. Is it clear what I am asking?

Best
KN

We might need a bit more information, but let me see if I am understanding correctly what you want to do. I think you have two different videos of the same event; you want to show one video, then “switch cameras” to the other video, while staying synchronized with the audio. Is this correct?

If so, then it is not very difficult to do. I will try to describe it, but it may be easier if someone makes a tutorial. (I would be glad to do that, but would not be able to do it until the weekend.)

If you plan to use the audio contained in one or the other of the video files,* then create two video tracks in the timeline. Drag the video that should show first into the bottom track. Drag the video that should play second into the top track. Synchronize the two videos - one way to do this is to turn off the sound in the top track (click on the little speaker icon so that it shows an X), then play the timeline; you will see the video from the top track, but hear the audio from the bottom track. Move either clip forward or backward until you are happy with the way the audio from one video synchronizes with the other video. It may help to zoom in very high and look at the audio waveforms.

Once the videos are synchronized, you can position the playhead where you want to make the transition. Split each track at this point. Delete the first part of the upper track - this will allow the bottom video to show through at the beginning; where the upper track has video, it will replace the lower video. You can go back and forth as desired.

If you want to have a transition effect between the two videos, there is a little bit more work to do, but not too much. But I am afraid this is already probably confusing to describe … again, if no one else makes a tutorial before the weekend, I will try to do this and post it. I think when you see it done, it will be very easy!

*If you want to use a separate audio file, you would do the same thing as above, but also create an audio track in the timeline and drag the audio file there. Turn off the sound in both of the videos; then you will need to synchronize each video separately to the audio file. You can turn off either of the videos from showing by clicking on the eye icon so that it looks like it is a shut eyelid.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply,

What I have infront of me is one video where someone is doing a livestream. What I have done however is cut the video into a few shorter clips that are relevant. I now have put the relevant parts of the video together.

Howerver the issue is that when the transition moves from one clip to the other there is a motion detected on the screen as is the case with any transition we do.

The ideal scenario would be to have a transition that is so flawless that the viewer would not be able to tell that there have been clips put together. In other words, a transition that is motionless or atleast one that appears motionless to the eye.

So content wise the video flows perfectly and now if I can just make the transitions seamless as well then it will be a home run,

Is this more clear? So audio is not the issue at all,

Do you have a solution for this?

Do you have an example?

I would cut them up first to create jump cuts, in between each one. Then, extend the clips into each other to create overlaps, then use the dissolve transition, under the Properties Tab > Dissolve. This will make the transition between the 2 smoother. It will never be totally undetectable unless you never move your head, but it will make it smoother looking.

1 Like

Ah, I see - I was on the wrong track … no pun intended, of course!

I have dealt with this issue before, when editing videos of lectures I have needed to record for various classes. Even though I am staying in one place throughout the lecture - sitting, in fact, not walking around or anything like that - it is surprising how much motion there can be when cutting from one part to another. In particular I tend to move my head, perhaps tilting it or leaning forward or so on as part of emphasizing a point or indicating a change of topic or so on.

What Ben suggests is what I do, but let me add just a bit to it - I often need to do some frame-by-frame hunting to see where there is a pose near the end of one clip that can best transition to a pose near the beginning of the next clip. This may mean that the fade / transition at one “seam” may only be a few frames, while in another it may be a second or more - I don’t worry about always having the same length of transition, but rather focus on making the transition as unobtrusive as possible. As Ben says, it will never be entirely seamless, but with care I can usually get something that at least is smooth enough that most people won’t notice it unless they are really looking for it.

Something else to mention - if the transition is not going to be very smooth no matter what, you might be better off “celebrating” the transition, perhaps with a fade through a white screen or a black screen. Don’t forget that professionals will sometimes intentionally let the audio lag or lead a transition - obviously you don’t want to do this in a way that has the person’s mouth moving out of synch with the audio, but the point is that you don’t have to squeeze the transition between the audio segments; you could be transitioning through a white screen even as the audio picks up in the next segment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.