Saving filters with parameters

First - thanks for the proxy functionality - it really speeds up some repetitive and time-consuming tasks for me. I just throw some files into the pot (timeline), let them stew for a while (create proxies) and then they’re ready to go.

Is there a way to create a custom filter and be able to save it with its parameters. I can create a color that fades in (opacity) and out as a transition between video clips, but if I save it, when I recall it, it has lost the fade-in/out, though it keeps other properties. If I save it as an .mlt file, it can be retrieved and works, but the parameters are not adjustable - it’s just a video.

Would appreciate help with this - and/or creating a similar filter that blurs in and out.

Thanks,
r.

Yes, with Keyframes and setting presets on those filters. Presets will remember keyframe settings, which you can change on the fly by going into the keyframes tab and changing.

In this example, this is a 2 second color fade transition with one filter + keyframes.
https://streamable.com/1ubsfv
https://streamable.com/1ubsfv

This is applying this same filter and preset for another project.
https://streamable.com/zluskd
https://streamable.com/zluskd

Video Mode: 1080p, 60fps.
Shotcut 20.10.31

Thank you that’s very helpful - and thanks for the link to Mr. Eco’s youtube video on keyframes. Now if I can just remember all that…

r.

1 Like

Thanks again - hope you don’t mind another question. I’ve been able to create the preset containing the keyframes and the filter. I want to use this as a transition from clip to clip within a video and I can now add color and apply the preset in various locations.

My remaining problem is that the transitions tend to need to be of different durations - as they would be with shotcut filters. I’ve fooled with the length of the color clip and tried to adjust the presets to that; tried to adjust the length of the preset using the handles at the top of the keyframe box; and fooled with the presets. All have resulted in unpredictable outcomes. Is there a smooth process for adjusting a preset like this, or do I need to create presets of varying length to match the needs of the clip. Changing the course and duration of regular filters is so much more straight forward.

Thanks
r.

Then you would make up various lengths of presets for that specific filter. After you select a preset, you can still edit those settings via the Keyframes window. It doesn’t change the preset by doing so.

If you have a 1:20 clip
using a preset set for :10, :30, 1:20
then shorten the clip to :30, then the value you have set at 1:20 will not be seen.
Shortening the clip doesn’t change the values of the preset.

If you were to use Fade 1 preset on Opacity, you can go into keyframes and move each keyframe node. It doesn’t update the Fade 1 preset at all. After you move each the nodes where you want them, just simply save with a new name.

You can modify preset values manually with a text editor (e.g. Windows Notepad). All of the filter preset locations have been listed here.
explorer_2020-11-24_23-17-24
In this preset I have set for a 2 second clip. (60 fps)
0:00 - 0:15 Level 0 (No Change)
0:15 - 0:45 Level 0 to Level 100
0:45 - 1:00 Level 100 (No Change)
1:00 - 1:50 Level 100 to Level 0

Not unpredictable, because that is filter trimming.

If you trimmed the filter from 0:00 to 0:45 (left most trim handle moving to the right) using Fade 1 preset, the opacity filter will only start showing at :45 with a level of 100% (Solid white screen).
shotcut_2020-11-24_23-48-54

When you start making multiple presets, it might be wise to come up with a naming format that best suites what you need to easily find the right preset.
Examples:
_2s blue (Starting with _ makes the filter go to the top of the preset list).
2s fade
3s fade
4s fade
2s white
2s blue

I hope this helps. With some practice you’ll be a professional at keyframes and presets in no time. :smiley:

Thanks very much Hudson555x. You’ve obviously put a lot of time and effort into your work with shotcut. I’ll take your lesson, do my homework and see if I can get the results I’m after. Thanks again.

r.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.