Rendering fails if path to JPG files contains umlaut characters (like ä, ö, ...)

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here, so I hope it obeys the forum rules sufficiently.

I just tried to render a video from JPG files, where the images reside in a directory whose path contains umlaut characters like Ä, ü, … The protocol says

[mlt_producer 0x5577803ea210] /path-containing-umlaut-Ä/someImage.jpg
QImage retry: 1 - File not found

while in the same protocol there is no complaint about MP4 files in the same directory:

[chain avformat-novalidate] /path-containing-umlaut-Ä/someVideoClip.mp4
checking VFR: pkt.duration 4786

BTW: the .mlt file contains only relative paths, so the umlaut character does not show in that file.

Can someone reproduce this? And can someone fix it? Using umlaut characters might not be a worldwide problem, but in Germany it is very common.

Thank you for any help

Rainer

I reproduce this using the 22.12.21 portable package on Ubuntu 20.04. Just to emphasize what you already said, the problem only occurs on export. The file shows up fine in the preview.

Both preview and export work fine for me using 22.12.21 in Windows.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I work with Ubuntu 22.10 and Shotcut 22.12.21. And maybe we haven’t to blame Shotcut but Qt and QImage instead?

This is a well known and popular problem on Linux that you can find reported here and mentioned that it is fixed for the next version based on Qt 6 for which there is an alpha version to test.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.