Release Candidate version 23.04.20

I can surmise that this failure may be caused by a feature of the graphic drivers in the linux system. It is updated here very often, and every time some glitches disappear and others appear, it may well be that I was just unlucky and I need to wait for a driver update. But to be fair, updating drivers doesn’t have such a dramatic effect on other software, including other graphics editors.

Minor issue I just noticed: after popping up the timeline panel right click menu doesn’t appear anymore (even after docking it back into its original place).

I don’t like the light theme. Everything is way too bright. Is there a way to change back to a dark theme?

These instructions are for an older version. “Theme” isn’t available as far as I can see.

This was explained in the Beta thread:

1 Like

If you’re using Linux, just don’t use appimage. In the normal version, the theme is dark, or rather depends on the system settings, and my system theme is dark.

The filter set is a nice new feature. After the set is added, you can’t delete any of the filters in the set. It doesn’t prevent you from adding new filters. But if you don’t want a filter from the set, all you can do is deactivate it.

If you right-click on an unnecessary set, the program will prompt you to delete it. It’s not a very obvious way, but it’s there nonetheless.

Before we dig into this, can you please confirm that this is a regression in the 23.04.20 release candidate? Please test with the current release 22.12.21 and see if the behavior is the same. If the behavior is the same in 22.12, then please start a new thread to keep this thread focused on the changes for this release.

I’ve been getting crashes on Windows. It seems to happen when Windows turns the monitor off. details in github.

This is fixed.

1 Like

This is fixed for the release.

1 Like

Shotcut crashes if you accidentally try to convert a video that is missing. I understand that this is an absurd action, but you can accidentally click on this button and lose data. I ask you to make some kind of “stub”, for example, so that some kind of message appears that “it is impossible to convert the video because it was not found.”

Scenario: clip on the timeline but you’re zoomed in so the beginning of the clip is outside visible limits.

Double-click on the clip in the timeline seeks to the beginning of the clip → working.

Timeline scrolls horizontally so that the seek point / beginning of the clip is visible → not working.

Don’t know if I, understand your case correctly, but this is how it works for me

I do not understand how to reproduce this, and it is probably not important enough to fix at this stage.

All fields, menus, and buttons in the Properties panel are now disabled for a missing clip.

2 Likes

hi, how are you guys?

With GPU mode on, most equivalent CPU filters are removed with only their GPU versions available. I think this should be reconsidered and the CPU equivalents should still be available. The reason is when you mix GPU filters with the available CPU filters then the GPU filters are always placed on top of the filter stack. In some cases this doesn’t matter but in many cases, it does matter because you won’t be able to do certain effects that depend on the order of the filters being moved around.

As an example, only the GPU Brightness filter is available in GPU mode. So if you had Chroma Key: Simple on and wanted to do something with the Brightness filter on whatever is left after the color background is keyed out like this, you can’t in GPU mode because the GPU Brightness filter will always stay on top as you can see here.

So to still allow all of the flexibility of filter effects it’s best to keep the CPU equivalent filters alongside the GPU ones in GPU mode. In accordance with that, I would also suggest moving all the GPU filters to their own GPU filter category to not see the same filter names in the Filters video category until this issue is resolved in one way or another.

1 Like

I have thought about this too, but I am finalizing the release now, and this makes a good suggestion for the next version.

moving all the GPU filters to their own GPU filter category to not see the same filter names

I was thinking to add “(GPU)” to the end of each, but this is good idea. Except that row in the UI is getting too wide now, and a dropdown is less convenient. I will play around with smaller text, moving the close button, text under icon, etc.

1 Like