Proxy & Stability Issue with GoPro Hero 9 Black Footage (H.264 & H.265)

What is your operating system?
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, 20H2 Update

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
21.05.18, 64-bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
Yes, see bullets below, plus log attached.

I recently got a GoPro Hero 9 Black which records 5k and 4k in the HEVC/H.265, 2.7k and 1080p in AVC/H.264 but has noticed some issues with Shotcut’s handling of the footage and proxy generation.

• With Shotcut open, if I import clips recorded on the GoPro, then enable proxies, Shotcut will NOT generate proxies for the imported clips.

• With Shotcut open, if I enable proxies, then import the clips, Shotcut will begin creating proxies for the imported clips, but with issues (Jobs screenshot). If I leave the proxy generation for long enough, Shotcut will create proxies.

• Proxies created for 4k (2160p) clips that are longer than a few minutes in length will cause Shotcut to freezes when added to the timeline (Crash/Freeze Screenshot). The log attached is for a 4k clip, after proxy creation, before added to the timeline (before the crash).

A correlation I have noticed is between clip length, and Shotcut’s stability - the longer the clip, the more unstable Shotcut becomes, especially with the 4k footage.

This issue occurs with every GoPro clip I have tried, and persist on different computers, if I don’t use proxies, Shotcut works fine with the footage (though a little sluggish).

This may be GoPro specific as I only have this issue with GoPro footage, all my other cameras record in AVC/H.264 and work flawlessly with Shotcut. I have no other camera that records in HEVC/H.265 for further testing.

Log:
Log.txt (36.0 KB)

Jobs:
Jobs

1080p Footage Data:

2160p Footage Data:

Crash/Freeze when adding proxy for 2160p footage to timeline:

This is a new bug as of version 21.05.01 unrelated to GoPro. The recommended stable version on the download page is 21.03.21. I just fixed this for the 21.06 release, but it is not in the release candidate.

with issues (Jobs screenshot).

This is a minor issue with the way ffmpeg reports its progress with videos like GoPro that embed timecode. I have not found a way to fix it.

cause Shotcut to freezes when added to the timeline

I think you are experiencing problems in version 21.05 that were addressed in the new 21.06 release candidate. It helps to know how you are adding to the timeline since there are many ways.

Many thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! I’ll go and try out 21.03.21.

When adding to the timeline I tried three methods:

• ‘Drag-n-drop’ from the ‘Playlist’
  • Selecting multiple clips then ‘Add Selected to Timeline’
  • Double-clicking to open it in the player, then pasting to the timeline

When dealing with the proxies for 4k clips, it didn’t seem to matter how I added them, Shotcut would crash, but with proxies disabled, Shotcut worked fine - any questions, let me know!

Thanks again!

1 Like