Problems Loading .png and .jpg files

I have successfully opened both .png and .jpg files in the past - in fact, my current project already has such files included.

But this morning (7-15-2023), I cannot open either sort of file: when I try to open a .png file, Shotcut asks if want to convert it to an edit-friendly (.mkv) file. If I say yes, Shotcut creates an .mkv file with a duration of 1 second. When I try to open a .jpg file, Shotcut creates a blank item (all white) with a duration of 1 second.

I have just restarted my computer, and the behavior is the same. I looked at my log file, and the only possible issue I see is here:

[Warning] mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /home/rjw/Shotcut/Shotcut.app/lib/mlt-7/libmltsox.so (libsox.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

I looked and the file is there with a size of 27,504 bytes. The Properties dialog says it was last accessed on Friday 7-14. I don’t know if I’ve had this warning before.

What version of Shotcut are you using? Maybe your installation is corrupt. It wouldn’t hurt to re-download Shotcut as a test.

That library is not associated with opening image files. So probably not the specific problem.

I’m using version 23.05.14.

On a wild guess, I edited the .png file I was trying to open. The original had an aspect ratio of 5100 wide by 7016 high. I clipped off the top and bottom to make a .png file which was 5100 wide by 2662 high.

The new file opened perfectly.

The log file still has the same warning. What does libmltsox.so do? It’s possible it supports an operation or filter I’m not even using…

There is a bug in the version that you are using which has a limit to image file size. When you cropped the image, you made the size small enough to be opened. You can upgrade to the newest version of Shotcut to get the bug fix.

libmltsox.so is an optional module for an underlying library (MLT). We do not use the sox module from MLT in Shotcut.

Thanks for the incredibly fast response!

I will upgrade to the later version. And it’s good to know that I can ignore that warning in the log file.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.