What is your operating system?
Windows 11 build 21996 x64, although this was also occurring on Windows 10
What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
Whenever I open a file in Shotcut and put it onto the timeline, it only displays the file and nothing else, and when I try to playback the video, it’ll freeze or even sometimes stop responding.
There are several known bugs with 21.05.18.
The Recommended Stable Version is 21.03.21, and can be found here.
I am fairly sure this is the same bug as below that was already fixed for the next version 12.06 due in a couple of days:
07:33AM - 31 May 21 UTC
06:35PM - 13 Jun 21 UTC
reproduced by dev
I'm using shotcut on Windows 10 64bit, machine is a Ryzen 7 3700X, NVIDIA 1030GT
… with 32 GB RAM - everything works fine in 21.03.21 (on identical machine, even if installing versions back and forth) but breaks beyond that particular version.
The clips I use are nothing special in any way (GoPro Hero 7 or DJI Osmo Action footage) and playback is just fine in any application I ever tried - including shotcut up to 21.03.21. The following happens regardless of whether I am "upgrading" an existing project or starting a new project from scratch in that particular version of shotcut.
I ALWAYS have at least more than hundred (sometimes even more than thousand) clips in my playlist - the problem doesn't seem to EVER occur if there are just a few clips in the playlist!
Starting from 21.05.01:
1. Double click in playlist does not start playback anymore (gets me the first frame of that clip instead (REALLY annoying! )- this happens regardless of playlist size)
2. If the playlist is "large" then hitting play will start playback SOMETIMES
3. IF it starts it is extremely sluggish and stutters massively for seconds until eventually recovering - SOMETIMES it will work to pause playback and hit play once again
4. If it doesn't start (or recover), playback remains unresponsive. It will NEVER again work for this (or any other) clip.
5. Once it is in the above state: you can still successfully save your project, but trying to play another clip or getting any other form of video preview (e.g. by setting a new playhead position in the timeline) makes shotcut "not responding"
6. It is NOT a resource problem, the machine is neither under load nor even above 50% on any limiting resources (RAM, disk space etc)
7. The problem occurs so frequently that I never got past playing 3 clips in a row with large playlists and shocut versions 21.05.01 and above ...
I tried every setting I could think of, including all display methods, external vs. internal monitors, display of audio waveforms etc. - no luck. It really just seems to depend on playlist size.
The above has NEVER happened to me with 21.03.21 (same machine, regardless of any setting I tried) and I am in fact using 21.03.21 now to continue work on the very same projects that I can't complete with 21.05.18.
If you are eager to verify this you can try the release candidate below
The main purpose of the 21.06 release is to continue to address the new problems that resulted from the major changes in v21.05.01.
Rules of Participation (Important)
This release candidate will not be a general bug-fixing period. Only highly critical bugs and regressions since version v20.05.01 will be addressed.
Do not report about old existing bugs that have not been indicated as fixed by this version.
The release is expected by the end of June.
Provide all feedback as a reply wit…