New clean, coloured Diagonal Barn Door transition using HTML overlay

I approve of this

Thank you, @scellycraftyt, your reply is appreciated!

****I GOT THE GOLD LINES WITH GRADIENT!!! *****

https://streamable.com/e8zd7

Frame detail:

Code that did it:

#gold_line_01 {background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(255,215,0,1), rgba(255,215,0,0)  0%);	height:100%;width:8;}

#gold_line_02 	{background: linear-gradient(to top, rgba(255,215,0,1), rgba(255,215,0,0) 50%);	   height:100%;width:5;	}

etc.

I exported the gold lines, with transparent backgoround, as a quicktime animation (.mov), then re-imported it as an overlay.
Woo hoo!

Next challenge: make the blue logo slightly transparent …

2 Likes

GoodJob

:+1:

1 Like

Marvellous :+1:! It looks really good! I did not expect you to make the change today, especially if you have some time consuming tasks.
By the way, is there a reason why you used three lines instead of two? And on both sides instead of only the left side?

It is interesting how you were able to achieve a similar effect with Shotcut + WebVfx. I am curious to know how they achieved it.

Hi @paul2 and @samth,

THANKS! :smile::smile: I was a bit elated when I found the gold lines with transparency worked! Did you notice ??!:joy::joy:

Now there’s further development … (I found a bit of spare time today in the end, thankfully)…

1. I had success making the blue logo semi-transparent by indeed changing the black colour of the matte file to #383838 (a darkish grey), then I tinkered with the “softness” parameter in Mask:from file and found that a value of about 85% was perfect for showing the footballer and the penalty shot through the logo.

Then, the icing…

1. Applied a “Rotate and Scale” filter to the static logo .png and keyframed it from 100% to 130%, exported it, then re-imported it. So the background logo zooms in…

Also:

1. Reduced the number of gold lines to two to replicate the original (@samth, well spotted. I had no reason for putting 5 lines in earlier apart from to see if it worked OK and actually I thought it looked nice, but then I used the adage “less is more” and now I think it looks fine with just two lines, as per the original…)

2. added a slight dissolve between the two football clips (on V1) now that they can be seen slightly…

… and this is the final (I hope!) result - TA – DAH !!:

https://streamable.com/dt3y9

As I said earlier, it has been a lot of work for such a short effect but it’s worth the effort to me - I’m going to use my HTML file as a template for other ideas and also the newly-learnt techniques for future projects.

PS To get it even closer to the original I need to make it a little faster, probably 2 seconds long or even 1 second (It’s 3 seconds at present). Easy to do but I’d have to make a new matte file.

[EDIT - for reference, here’s the original BBC version again:

https://streamable.com/xy13i

I am truly astonished :astonished:. This is spot-on and I cannot fault it :wink:.
I like your version slightly better because it takes a bit longer (your hard work has to be perceivable) and it seems a bit more ethereal (probably due to a lower opacity).

Really? I did not notice that one bit :smirk:. (Lot of exclamation marks, a picture with balloons etc. But I can understand why :grin:.)

Well done @jonray

Considering that the original BBC one was probably done on a Vizrt or Ross GFX system costing tens of thousands of pounds, your one done on a home computer with an open source video editor, makes it even more fantastic.

:+1:

@Paul2 and @samth, Thank you! and thanks for your replies throughout - it’s great to have feedback, advice and support…

@paul2 - never heard of vizrt or Ross GFX, will google them to find out more… interesting…