Multiple filters in one filter. Coding in Shotcut

1. Does Shotcut supports multiple filters in one filter? For example, i want to code a Bezier Tool, Colour Shade Picker etc but i want to put it in one filter (Colourist). To make it clear, user can open the Colourist Filter and select only the filters they want ( eg Bezier Tool:Mask, Colour Shade Picker ) and uncheck the rest.

2. How do i link one filter to another filter? For example Bezier Tool to select the portition of the clip and i want to link it to colour grading?

If I read this as “multiple MLT filters” the answer is No.

To make it clear, user can open the Colourist Filter and select only the filters they want

That is not how Shotcut works. See how Mask: Simple Shape and Mask: Apply work with filters in between them.

To better guide you, how is what you want different than what Shotcut offers today? If you are asking about a change to an architecture or workflow, then it is very difficult to answer, and I will likely decline.

Do you want to create masks by drawing a curve? MLT has a rotoscoping filter for that. However, Shotcut does not yet have an on-video UI tool for that (i.e. VUI), and it is not easy to make but is on the road map.

Do you want to create a mask by picking a color? You can already do that:

It is trivial to make a Mask: By Color based on this or Chroma Key: Simple.

How do i link one filter to another filter? For example Bezier Tool to select the portition of the clip and i want to link it to colour grading?

You don’t. That is contrary to the Shotcut architecture and workflow that I mentioned above. Why limit it to the Color Grading filter? Shotcut today lets you apply the mask to any one or more filters. You can even use filters to affect the mask.

That’s a good starting point.

Not just a colour but also several steps of shade of that colour. For example i want to select a Yellow and its neighbour Yellow shade (darker and lighter yellow). Then the filter can change it to Blue (or any colour of choice) at that particular part (by using Bezier curve).
For example from this Youtube tutorial.
Please advice thank you.

This may or may not be in the same vein - I had wondered if there could be a “macro” or “scripting” facility that could allow one to create an effect built up out of more than one filter. This might be a way to extend the ease-of-use of Shotcut. For example, a more advanced user can create a “Loop the loop text and logo” effect by building up a combination of text:simple and spr filters, but if that advanced user could put it into a “macro,” then a beginner could just fill in the blanks.

Not sure if the above makes sense, and not sure if this is something a) already available, b) already on the road map, or c) already discussed and declined. (FWIW, this is the sort of thing that I could see myself working on as a contributor to the Shotcut development … but that will have to wait for retirement in about 5 years …)

I don’t remember this ever being discussed before. My intuitive reaction is that if we think up a feature that is useful, and a volunteer has the skills to implement it, I would prefer we implement it as a proper filter, rather than add another abstraction layer that people would need to learn.

To build in your example, rather than combine multiple filters to make text loop, first start by investigating to see if a curve feature can be added to the existing text filter.

Gotcha. Now we just need to wait 5 years for retirement, and I can finally do all the things I WANT to do instead of all the things I HAVE to do. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.