Instant Subtitles! (Creating subtitles automatically as if by magic)

Hey everyone, I am currently working on a little program to convert subtitle “.srt” to a Shotcut project .mlt

Once conversion finished, you can use the “Open mlt as Clip” to import the subtitle to the whole timeline.

4 Likes

@KKnBB

srt --> mlt . Very nice idea. :+1:

COOL IDEA! Thank you :+1:

I have an old project that merges 2 srt in different languages into 1 srt, so I have codes that programmly break down the srt format.

Two issues:
1, read and understand my own code :smiley:
2, timestamp in .mlt is a flowing down type, unlike “between 5:20 and 5:24” in most subtitle files. So I need to do some serious time re-calculation and time-comparison codes.

Give me a weak or so.

hey @Paul2 @jonray @sauron @treuben
I made it. It is easier than I thought. (2 hours coding)

It quickly converts a standard .srt subtitle or lyrics into a new project .mlt file, so you can use it anyways you like.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I really appreciate the care and attention you took in creating this tutorial!

I was so excited to find this on YT today… after adjusting all mouse coordinates and trying all them with ctrl keys, I ended up doing it manually. All it does is to copy and paste the timeline text box, copying and deleting the first letter, not the sentence of the pad and positioning the cursor over the end box. Is this still good for the latest version?

Thank you so much thou.

I’m not sure if this helps, but I had a lot of trouble trying to get this app to work. In the end i created a web app that does something similar - creates an MLT subtitle file from a Subrip file. see here for more info:

Here is the tutorial:

thanks a million!!!

No problem, glad to be of help. I hope you enjoy working with Shotcut. It is a powerful video editor considering its price (free) and there are lots of people on the forum here more than happy to help with suggestions and solutions.

man, I suggest a copy and paste for the formatting of elements, like that brush we have on word. I suffered today to “normalize” all my subtitle-box replicas. Mega thanks to you and all this awesome community.