I'm helpless at random clicking

i was going through all the sony rx0 settings today based on things i’d learned here and in the leeming lut forum and when i came to the movie format modes i read it more carefully this time–in my initial setup i was going fast and just knew i wanted an mp4 or mov file.

there are 3 options:
xavc s hd
avchd
mpeg4

i knew i didn’t want avchd which is sony’s format for burning blu-ray and is compatible with a lot of their devices. i used to shoot in it when i was burning blu-ray and it works perfectly for that.

but, while we were talking over the last week you remember i was surprised when i discovered that my mp4 files were only 28mb/s bitrate and i thought they should be higher. well, it turns out that they can be higher if you use xavc s hd which i’d never heard of and it sounded like an exotic sony-proprietary format of some soft.

turns out it’s just a version of mp4 which uses h264 for compression and, given sony’s pathetic explanation, i don’t know if it’s more or less compressed than vanilla mp4, but i suspect it’s more compressed since my 10s test came out to 75mb which would be 6x75 or 450mb/minute.

but i’m wrong (that rarely happens!) and that’s not the case, i just checked one of the previous mp4 files and 30s was 100mb which means it’s only 200mb per minute of footage. so i think i’m now going to be shooting at a quality maybe 2x as high now.

another bonus, unlike the mp4 setting which tops out at 1080p60, the xavc format will allow shooting at 120fps, but does bump it down to regular hd at 1280x720p120. the sony also has a high frame rate mode which tops out at nearly 1000fps, but those clips are lesser resolution and have several restrictions.

these xavc files arrive on my desktop as .mp4 and really i can see no difference in compatibility between the previous mp4 mode i was shooting and these. so now i’ll have 50mb/s bitrate–it must be vbr because my 10s test clip was 52mb/s.

i’m also going to back off shooting in log and apply that learning curve to learning basic video with an emphasis on editing. i’ll come back to log when i can do the basics.

/guy

very first thing i watched after i installed shotcut. you notice in the table of contents there’s no category for joining clips and i watched the whole video in disbelief that they assumed anyone could do it without instruction.

but the goal was to join the clips and have a combined video of the original quality bit for bit. this brought me to the discovery (after ?steven? suggested it) that quicktime was optimizing for streaming. i did try shotcut after i figured out how to combine the clips, but i wasn’t about to wait 30 minutes to find out if it worked or not. and still no one has specifically mentioned which preset one would use to get duplicate quality in the finished video in a reasonable amount of time. 30 minutes for 6 minutes of video is not an acceptable ratio for me.

/guy

I did not say this. I said ‘direct stream copy’…

You can’t. Shotcut is a video ‘editor’ [NLE] where encoding will always be involved, even if a lossless preset is selected. It is not a not simply a direct stream ‘video joiner’. If that’s all you need, then other software should be sought.

i have no decoder options other than the QtGl one which showed up when i opened it the first time.

but my clips are 4k …

/guy

Hi guy it’s me the Newbie talking, it is my current understanding that all video editors render a output. that means they need to decode your files, then render them, then output them which means they have to encode them. And Most/all, do that only with the CPU as they think anyone using a video editor wants quality, and is not worried about how long it will take. In Shotcut they have common presets, which you should be able to change to keep your output the same as your input. You want a 4k input to a 4k output I think Shotcut can do that. you want 150 Mbs input to 150 Mbs output, I don’t know if Shotput can do that. When you go to coden average bit rate or constant bit rate I see that you can set the bit rate to as high as 80Mbs, I also see you can click in the bit rate window and change it to a higher rate but I don’t know if it will really do it. One would have to just try it.

i have no decoder options other than the QtGl one which showed up when i opened it the first time.but my clips are 4k … I don’t really understand what you are trying to say here My understanding is QTGL just means that it is using a form of openGL to decode your clip not just the cpu,4K is just a format size, when QT encodes your file it should be able to do 4K and there should be a way to set the bit rate that you want the output to be.
Found this How to Edit Two Clips Together Directly Inside QuickTime Hope it helps.
Lost