I designed 8 png files for custom transitions

Yeah, it only took a couple of minutes:) I had the bat signal/logo done from ages back so I just coloured it black, copied & pasted it at a few sizes and graduated transparencies over a white background. It isn’t properly centred so I might do that tomorrow and edit this post if anyone wants to use it. I was quite surprised how well it worked :slight_smile:

I played around with this idea and did a few more this morning aswell as updating the batman one (revised image in the post above).
I’m not sure if any of these are similar to are duplicates of any on the link that @sauron provided 'cos I haven’t been through them all, but it’s proved to me how versatile a tool the custom transition can be :slight_smile:
If anybody should want any of these for their own use they are very welcome. Just ask.

Yes please! These are cool - well done @QDSOV, and thank you. LOVE the Sunspots and Slide especially but the others are good too. Jon

I just put together a video featuring a selection of some of my favourite transitions which I downloaded for free from the kdenlive kde store site (link from @sauron). Some really good ones!

https://streamable.com/ty8yd

1 Like

Two more transitions!!
I downloaded these png images from the internet a while ago. I have no idea of the names of the creators of these unfortunately so I can’t give them any credit, sorry :unamused: … I don’t think they were designed for video transitions anyway, just black and white patterns.

Anyway, they are: GLITTER:

and TRIANGLES:

:

Here’s what they look like when used as custom transitions:

[https://streamable.com/1i983] ( https://streamable.com/1i983)

I’ve put them into a zip file should anyone like to play with them:
Glitter and Triangle transitions.zip (3.0 MB)

The “Glitter” transition is lovely, I think.

I’ve been having fun with this over the last couple of days. I’ve come up with a couple for specific channels that I’ll keep for myself, but here’s a dozen (+1 more) of the ones I’m most pleased with. There’s 2 zip files (6 PNGs in each file) underneath for anyone who wants to use them. I am quite happy for them to be in the public domain :slight_smile:

Thanks to @jonray for putting me on to the idea of making my own.

QDSOV_transitions_01.zip (3.9 MB)
QDSOV_transitions_02.zip (1.5 MB)

Bonus - Wave02, which I added at the last minute after I’d zipped up the others :wink:

@QDSOV - These look FANTASTIC! Awesome work. I’ve no time to play with them right now, but I’ve downloaded them and will experiment when I get a few moments. Thank you so much for sharing them, and Bravo!! :+1::+1::+1::+1: Jon

1 Like

@QDSOV Hope you don’t mind posting it here but I just made a short demo video featuring some of your transitions. Really good! I think we’re now rather spoilt for choice for custom transitions… and yes I agree, they are rather fun to design. (What prog did you use to design yours by the way?) Thank you! Jon

https://streamable.com/c0j4e

Of course I don’t mind @jonray - nice use of them there. I put them on here for anyone to use. Most of them were put together using old saved geometric designs or hastily put together with various blends and some blurring filters to achiev the graduation. I used an ancient piece of design software I’ve used for years, only because I’m very familiar with it - Serif Drawplus 4. It was discontinued years ago. I have the current version (Affinity Designer) which is still very inexpensive and extremely powerful, but I’m so used to the old programme it’s sometimes quicker to go back to that. Affinity Photo is extremely useful and inexpensive too.

OMG - a fellow Serif user!! I’m a great fan of Serif software - I use Pageplus X4 almost daily. I never understood how it never became hugely popular ( I mean REALLY huge…). It’s miles better than any other DTP software I know. I scan stuff into it, I write letters on it, I do my accounts on it (the table functions are great for calculations) - and I design video transitions with it!! :grin:

PS I think you can still get it for £20.

Sorry, I’ve gone off topic here…

The bottom of our Resources page has a list of links of repositories with luma wipe images including the Kdenlive ones. Consider making a repo on github and giving the link. Or I can make a repo under my github team account, and people can submit as pull requests. I am hesitant to bundle these with Shotcut because the ones we provide are generated in several aspect ratios. If I include a standalone 16:9 file someone making a 4:3, square, or portrait video will report the incorrect shape as a bug. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It would be very simple to do 4:3 and portrait versions of these if that would help, if there’s a desire for it of course. It would only take a couple of moments per image.

Sounds a good idea. I’ll join Github and open a repository.

Feel free to chuck mine in there while you’re at it @jonray if it’s simple enough :slight_smile:

Made with Shotcut with a couple of transitions from Jonray and QDSOV, all done with mask from file.

https://streamable.com/ss1tl

Ok @QDSOV, No problem, I’ve joined github. Will see if it’s easy to add your transitions to my repository. Won’t be straight away though, lots to do first…

Brilliant as usual, @sauron!! I really must find time to explore the mask from file feature …

Nice one @sauron
Good to see them all together and mixed up like that.

Using this is not at all obvious to me. Here is what I am looking for:
Page Curl Video Transition

This is indeed “fun” if I can figure out how to do it for myself. Your indulgence is appreciated.

-=Ken=-

That’s not possible in Shotcut “out of the Box” but it is achievable using an animation overlay with a coloured background and chromakey. You would need to find or purchase the animation from a 3rd party or create it yourself. Shotcut can perform the “reveal” element of the transition as demonstrated above, but the visible “page curl” would have to be an animated clip.

EDIT: I’ve been playing around with this idea and I’ve not managed to wrap my head around how to do it with SC yet. I had an idea in mind, but it’s not working out as I imagined. I don’t know of a way (if indeed it’s possible) to key different tracks to different colours which would be the easy way to make it work. I suppose it could be done with a combination of an animation and the mask filter but it is a lot of fuss for a simple effect. If anyone can build on this or explain some more then please do.

Is there a link to your repo?