How to Fade In Titles?

How does one “fade in” and “fade out” titles?

IOW, show the base video, then use a lap dissolve to fade in a title over the base video and fade the title out again?

Thanks in advance.

I usually copy’n’paste a section of the video to a new track and apply the title to that, then fade that clip in/out (checking the ‘opacity’ box).

1 Like

How do you sync up the two clips?

Easy.
Obviously you need to slice a section of the original video that you copy to the clipboard.
Then when you paste the copied part to a new track it will ‘snap’ to the same position above the original. (snapping must be enabled obviously)

Capture

Note that this trick is also useful for other effects such as fading to greyscale and back…
Lot’s of uses.

I tried this about a dozen times. The clip was pasted into the second video track but the clips were not synced. All I got were jump cuts. I made extra certain that the program was in “snap” mode (horseshoe-shaped icon).

Well, it works 100% fine every time for me else I’d never had suggested it.

Maybe I’m not clicking the mouse button hard enough.

I’ll wait until the next version comes out. If the problem persists then it will be adios Shotcut.

Sorry, but you didn’t mention which version you are using?
If it’s the most recent then I don’t use it due to the issues people have identified.
I only use 18.03.06

You need to visually make sure that they have synced. Did you zoom in and see that there are no black/blank portions in between clips? Also if you are using crop filter in some clip, the same filter parameters would need to be applied to the same clip in another track (if you are copying the track to another track that is)

@Steve_Ledger I didn’t quite follow the same method you did, as I used a transparent png instead.
And using the transparent png is something I need to start using for more of my video editing anyway for adding logo’s etc.

A little demo video I made here: https://youtu.be/gd4Teat15ag

1 Like

I do the same as Hudson555x. I never use the text filter in SC itself because there’s so much more I can do with text effects and textures in a vector editor. I import them as a PNG and then I can fade it, brighten it, desaturate it, squash it, rotate it and have it flying all around the screen anywhere I want without having to copy sections onto other tracks. Since key-frames were introduced the possibilities for animating PNGs to bring a little extra life to a video are immense.
As to the OP - I am using the latest version (18.05.08) and whilst there have been some minor issues it is a very worthwhile update for my style of work. I have not had the difficulty you describe with syncing tracks cut & pasted in the manner Steve suggested, in fact I’ve found it to work perfectly every time with snapping turned on. It might help you visually if you magnify the working area (use the slider above the timeline) and set it so the audio waveform is showing on the tracks (if there is sound on the video) then you can not only see it more easily, but the audio waveform will give you another visual marker to help you sync it manually

In the video demo I did use the text filter, but used the PNG so I could move it around and adjust the length. It’s just a blank 1920 x 1080 transparent image. I’ve read many posts where people use transparent images, but until last week I finally tried it for myself and love them, ha ha.

Ah - I get it :slight_smile: Good way of doing it. I prefer to do the titles themselves as vectors because I can use layering effects, textures, shadows and the like more easily then animate to my heart’s content. I draw/compose plenty of my own objects to be animated too, so I use the same process for everything - images & text. Makes life easy for me.

Been trying to learn vectors with Inkscape, but having problems understand basic concepts. I’ll get there eventually. I keep trying out new tutorials and going to back to previous ones. But that’s for a different post on another forum, ha ha.

I don’t use Inkscape myself (but I do have it installed), I use a very old piece of commercial software which is no longer available, but I like it and it does what I want it to quickly. If you’re having trouble with the fundamentals I’d happily help you out if I can. For doing titles, logos and preparing GFX for video it’s a useful skill to learn.

Using 18.05.08. Not using a crop filter.

I’ll wait until the next release rather than installing and uninstalling versions before then.

Not necessary at all, snapping does the work precisely.
Honesty if this isn’t working for some people it has to be a version bug, there’s absolutely no issues here in any of the versions I’ve used up to and including 18.03.06

Yes this works as well, though I find my suggested method a little quicker 'tis all.

Good to hear it’s working as described in that version too :+1:

This has to be done with precision. Even if you don’t see a jump in the video the audio could very well glitch/pop. Better to let the program do it precisely.

I followed Steve’s instructions to the letter so I don’t think it is necessarily operator error.

OT
Try GRAVIT. It’s free and available on any platform. I use the portable version for Windows and it’s very intuitive, clean UI and works very well. I’m a Xara Designer 365 user, but Gravit would work for me when I’m using a PC without access to my copy of Xara Designer.

1 Like