How-To Challenge: Animated concentric circles

Thanks you all for your participation. That was fun and you all did great!

Now I’m really curious to see what methods you all used.
I saw very interesting variations on the challenge requirements.

I’m also very curious to know how @dimadjdocent created his fuzzy background (post #15)

• create a noise generator and put it on the timeline.
    • Add filter Sepia Tone:
    • Add filter Mosaic:
    • Add filter Vertigo:
    • Add filter Distort:
    • Add filter Viniette
    • Add filter Contrast:
3 Likes

Wow, advanced stuff! Bravo.

How do I circle:

2 Likes

How I made a musical circle:

3 Likes

For the original version, I used a white color track, did a crop:circle and a mask:simple (ellipse) to create the ring. Then another mask:simple (ellipse) to cut the ring and a keyframed color gradient to change the color of the ring ans a Gaussian Blur filter to make it look better.
circles.mlt (25.5 KB)

For the psychedelic version, I used an SMPTE color bars clip (Open Other Color Bars), applied a 360:Equirectangular to Stereographic filter. then created the circles using Crop:Circle and Mask:Simple (Ellipse) filters. On alternate tracks I used an “Invert Colors” filter and to get the blotchy colors I used an “Open Other Ising” clip with the track blend mode set to “HSL_Hue”.
circles_3.mlt (24.6 KB)

4 Likes

Voici comment j’ai procédé.
Sur V1 : L’image de fond (Clip couleur noire pour l’étape 1), pas de filtre
Sur V2 : Un clip de la couleur du cercle souhaitée (ici jaune)
Un filtre Crop rectangle pour tracer une ligne.

Here is how I did it.
On V1 : The background image (black clip for step 1), no filter
On V2 : A clip of the desired color of the circle (here yellow)
A Crop rectangle filter to draw a line.

Ajuster le rayon d’angle sur 100%, c’est ce qui me permet d’avoir les plus jolis arrondis aux extrémités des lignes. La hauteur du crop donne l’épaisseur de la ligne, et la position sur l’axe horizontal est l’équivalent de la commande Yaw du filtre suivant. Si la largeur du crop est égale à la largeur de l’image, alors le cercle sera entier. Dans notre cas il ne sera pas complet.

Setting the corner radius to 100% is what gives me the nicest rounding at the ends of the lines. The height of the crop gives the thickness of the line, and the position on the horizontal axis is the equivalent of the Yaw command in the next filter. If the width of the crop is equal to the width of the image, then the circle will be full. In our case it will not be complete.

Appliquer le filtre 360: Equirectangular to Stereographic, comme précisé par @MusicalBox Yaw donne l’orientation et Roll permet d’animer la rotation avec des images-clés.

Applying the 360: Equirectangular to Stereographic filter, as specified by @MusicalBox Yaw gives the orientation and Roll allows to animate the rotation with keyframes.

Copier et coller le clip de V2 sur V3
Changer la couleur du clip copié sur V3 dans les propriétés, remplacer jaune par rouge.

Copy and paste the clip from V2 to V3
Change the color of the clip copied to V3 in the properties, replace yellow by red.

Bien évidemment, le cercle jaune n’est plus visible, le cercle rouge de V3 est au dessus.
Ajouter un filtre opacité sur le clip rouge de V3 et faire varier l’opacité de 0 à 100% avec des images-clés

Of course, the yellow circle is no longer visible, the red circle of V3 is on top.
Add an opacity filter on the red clip of V3 and vary the opacity with keyframes from 0 to 100%.

Résultat.
Répéter pour les autres cercles.

Result.
Repeat for other circles.

3 Likes

Un point de plus pour vous, je n’y avais même pas pensé. J’avoue avoir triché en employant ma V20 et son filtre Simple shape pour créer la ligne pointillée.

One more point for you, I didn’t even think of that. I admit I cheated by using my V20 and its Simple shape filter to create the dotted line.

2 Likes

Le résultat est là, mais je ne comprend pas pourquoi:
- Vous ne mettez pas 100% pour la valeur du rayon dans Crop: Rectangle
- Vous créez un fond blanc dans Crop: Rectangle que vous effacez ensuite avec un Chroma Key : Simple. Pourquoi ne pas régler directement le fons sur Transparent?

The result is there, but I don’t understand why:

• You don’t put 100% for the radius value in Crop: Rectangle
  • You create a white background in Crop: Rectangle which you then erase with a Chroma Key: Simple. Why don’t you set the background directly to Transparent?
1 Like

I get some kind of elongated nose, if you put 100%.

Yes, you’re right, it’s easier. I can’t remember why I used this particular method, in the process of experiments I added something, removed something, and maybe I got confused. Thanks for helping make this easier!

1 Like

Bizarre, j’obtiens de mon coté un rayon parfait en mettant 100%

Je retiendrai l’astuce du filtre Hue/Lightness/Saturation qui permet de changer la couleur du cercle sans créer de piste supplémentaire comme je l’ai fait. Bien sûr il faut que l’ordre souhaité des couleurs corresponde à la roue

Strange, I get a perfect radius by setting 100%.

I will keep the trick of the Hue/Lightness/Saturation filter which allows to change the color of the circle without creating an additional track as I did. Of course the order of the colors must correspond to the wheel

1 Like

I think I understand why I didn’t get the perfect nose.
I used “rectilinear”, you used “Stereographic”
Your version is smoother. I will keep this in mind too.

I want to thank everyone for the fact that thanks to this challenge I got a lot of experience :star_struck:

1 Like

Here’s how I made a circle rotation effect with cut-out, before I clocked about using the 360 Equirectangular filter.
I’ve first shown the rotating rectangle in RED, just to highlight how it works. Of course later I changed it to black to produce the black and white mask file.

It’s clunky and long-winded - but it works. Downside is that I didn’t get the lovely rounded edges …

Voici comment j’ai créé un effet de rotation de cercle avec découpe, avant d’utiliser le filtre équirectangulaire 360°.
J’ai d’abord montré le rectangle rotatif en ROUGE, juste pour mettre en évidence son fonctionnement. Bien sûr, plus tard, je l’ai changé en noir pour produire le fichier de masque noir et blanc.

C’est maladroit et long - mais ça marche. L’inconvénient est que je n’ai pas eu les jolis bords arrondis…

1 Like

Here’s my take on creating the dashed rotated circle - before I knew @musicalbox’s great tip of using a text fliter to create the dotted line:

Voici mon point de vue sur la création du cercle pivoté en pointillés - avant que je connaisse le bon conseil de @musicalbox d’utiliser un filtre de texte pour créer la ligne pointillée :

1 Like

… oops, the first rotation should have bee 15 degrees, not 15.5 degrees! Still, it didn’t make a noticeable differenc…

Quite a clever use of filters @dimadjdocent.
I’ll remember that. Very cool effect.

2 Likes

I’ve looked at all your methods @jonray, @dimadjdocent, @Namna & @Elusien
Looks like we all took different paths (some even took more than one path :wink: ) to achieve more or less the same result.

The improvements to the effect are quite impressive.

@jonray I’m particularly impressed by what you did to create a dotted circle. Lots of steps, but very clever thinking.

2 Likes

I see that I failed a crucial step in the second part. The 1 black color for the circle(s). And probably would have failed to figure it out.

Never would have guessed a text filter for making lines.

@PoisonedSlice I just a lot of unnecessary mask simple filters with SP&R to animate. 4 Tracks of masks to be exact. This is why it was easier to work with a 1:1 aspect ratio.

1 Like

My first attempt was, as I suspected by the ends of the lines and the inner circle, the same as @Elusien’s. (learnt about crop circle from here). Crop circle and 2 masks (one for inner circle, one for the space in the circle) and an SPR to rotate everything.

2nd version was crop rectangle with radius 100, equirectangle stereographic (after going through nearly every 360 setting) and unpremultiply alpha to get rid of background residue/halo. The reason I didn’t get perfect round ends was because my crop rectangle was aligned to the top, and not vertically centred!

Ma première tentative était, comme je le soupçonnais par les extrémités des lignes et le cercle intérieur, la même que celle de @Elusien. (j’ai appris le crop circle ici). Un crop circle et 2 masques (un pour le cercle intérieur, un pour l’espace dans le cercle) et un SPR pour tout faire pivoter.

La deuxième version était un rectangle de recadrage avec un rayon de 100, un équirectangle stéréographique (après avoir passé en revue presque tous les paramètres de 360) et une démultiplication de l’alpha pour se débarrasser des résidus de l’arrière-plan. La raison pour laquelle je n’ai pas obtenu des extrémités parfaitement rondes est que mon rectangle de coupe était aligné sur le haut, et non centré verticalement !

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.