How I do Cinematic Color Grading in Shotcut the Easy and Lazy Way

I watched this last night, it really is a well done tutorial.

Just to add my thoughts to order of effects: My new Fuji has the ability to shoot in F-Log, so my first step is to apply the corrective LUT provided by the company for that camera. This is done on the source file, before I drag it to the timeline. I’ll apply WB right after that, but I work to get that correct in camera, as much as possible. After that, color grading, mostly for contrast. I haven’t used the scopes for that purpose, so I learned something new here that will get incorporated into my next project. Lastly, I might utilize a creative LUT. Of course, I’ll add any fades and text to individual clips on the timeline. So here’s my order of appearance for the source file:

LUT (F-Log/corrective)
WB (if needed)
Color grading
LUT (creative, if desired)

That’s pretty much it for my workflow. I’m assuming Shotcut reads this top down, rather than bottom up?

Also, in some situations, I’ve found that if text appears in the middle of a clip, the contrast for that clip can be affected. This seems to happen more if a creative LUT is used, but not always.

In any event, this is great.

TL;DR: Nice video, this is what I do to my source file.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Though I don’t have a professional camera, I still use the flat profile on my GoPro. I didn’t want to get too into corrective LUTs like the REC 709 LUT for log profiles because the video would’ve lasted another 15 minutes explaining it.

1 Like

Another creative color grade exercise and kids playing with leaves

2 Likes

The improvement looks great. I’ve seen this video before. I love how you make use of the speed of the video as well. :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank you! This video was part of how I was learning my process with color correction and grading.

This is a great example that the whole process is very subjective!
Honestly when i saw the wipe over in the color graded part i i first thought oh my god!
This is just too much for me! You lose all the shadow tones and the easy light weight mood from the first part! Probably a mixture of both would be best for me! Its not always an improvement to pull the sliders as much as possible even with the tone curves on! I tend to prefer the bright colors :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.