How can I export a video with a width nondivisible by 8, keep the original resolution, and avoid having the video shrunk?

Take a 500x500 60fps 30-second video for instance.

1. Set the Video Mode to Automatic.
  2. Open the video and the resolution is set to 504x500.
    The player looks like this:
  3. Go to export and change the width and aspect ratio width from 504 to 500.
  4. Export.
  5. The exported video has #000000 lines on all four sides. The letters in the video are blur too. This indicates the video is shrunk.

The video used to not get shrunk on 18.07, 18.06, 18.05, and 18.03.
On 18.09 and 18.08, I can’t avoid having my video shrunk no matter how I configure the video mode and export resolution.

• Creating a 500x500 60fps custom video mode and exporting it 500x500 doesn’t solve the problem. The same as Automatic.
  • Creating a 504x500 60fps custom video mode and exporting it 500x500 doesn’t solve the problem. The same as Automatic.

I tried these as well:

• Creating a 500x500 60fps custom video mode and exporting it 504x500 doesn’t get my video shrunk but defeats the purpose. I don’t want extra 2 pixel vertical lines on both sides.
  • Creating a 504x500 60fps custom video mode and exporting it 504x500 doesn’t get my video shrunk but defeats the purpose. I don’t want extra 2 pixel vertical lines on both sides.

I read that the width is locked to a multiple of 8:

but there used to be workaround. Just typing in a desired width in the export tab truncated extra widths.

I don’t want to use the Size and Position or Rotate and Scale though.
Maybe I can eliminate #000000 lines on all four sides with them, but I feel like the letters are going to be as blur, if not even more so.

This is a feature to deal with things being positioned and sized correctly when you change the resolution in Export. I am not going to remove it; it burned too many people before. The answer for now is to use an older version or do not make 500x500 videos.

We can try removing the multiple of 8 resolution restriction in the next beta and see what testing reveals.

That’d be great!

I must restrict it to multiple of 2:

Shotcut,

OK, so could I use any size that is 12:9 as long as it is a multiple of 2? I would not have a problem with using 1920X676 if I know that the numbers have to be a multiple of 2.

I would just like to know for the future if that would be possible.

Yes, except also width or height must be <= 8192.

1 Like

Shotcut,

Wonderful. Thank you for your help. I just tried a test of rendering 1920X676 and it worked.

Shotcut is a fantastic video editor.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.