GoPro Fisheye Removal and Smoothing for Shotcut

Using Shotcut 22.04.25 on an i9 system with 32 gigs of RAM and an RTX 3070 with latest drivers (in case any of this affects the suggestions).

Have some video I shot last year with a GoPro Hero 8. Pulling the footage into Shotcut I notice a “Fisheye” effect which I gather is the GoPro way of making sure there is plenty of resolution for doing Hypersmoothing and the like.

For the Fisheye I presume I want to use a Lens Correction Filter with Correction at Center - 45 and Correction at Edges - 40. Unless someone has some better settings they have had good experience with?

On the smoothing, is there any setting that will remove some of the shake you see when walking with the camera self mounted? It’s not horrible (like I suppose some MTB footage would be without Hypersmooth), but I’m guessing that the information is embedded in the footage somehow and not something available outside of using a GoPro editor? So is there something similar in the filters that can “sense” the up and down motion (by setting a horizon or something), or would the trick be to speed up the playback a bit?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Could this blog help, it mentions the filter you use for doing this in shotcut:-

Use a crop with circle if you want to cut off the unwanted full background.

That seems to be going in the opposite direction of what I’m trying to do? Trying to eliminate the fisheye effect if that wasn’t clear in the initial post :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can use other 360 filters.

Which one works with a Hero 8? While I did a fair bit of 360 shooting a while ago (different camera), that’s not the case here. Thanks!

You can try the Stabilise filter but I very much doubt you will get a worthy result (it takes a lot of time to analyze), hypersmooth has some major advantages over shotcut’s simple stabilization which only uses video data.
The metadata (gyro angle) which is used by some other apps (like the one made by gopro, reelsteady (paid only)) is there in the file but shotcut doesn’t interpret it for stabilization - and just to mention anyway, any stabilization done after the camera will lower the quality so if you shot in 4k you’ll have to export in a lower resolution.

As for the fisheye, I used to correct it but nowadays I just never bother unless I’m actually cropping some specific area out (and with a smaller area it’s easier to make it look linear).

If you want to experiment you can use this filter from another user which has more detailed options (it exposes defish0r plugin already in the app).

For better results I suggest you film something very straight (maybe you have a wall or a symmetric bookcase, or even a big monitor with a grid on it), enable the shotcut lines overlay and find the best settings to straighten it.

All of them work with it. The only thing to remove the fisheye properly is lens correction, which requires you to be really good at maths. Otherwise play with those other 360 filters to know what’s the best. Personally I have never used 360 filters, because I don’t have a 360 camera, the one I had I gifted it to someone else.

You don’t need a 360 camera to use the 360 filters.
You can create nice effects with them.
For example, the animated text below was created with the 360: Equirectangular to Rectilinear filter and keyframes.
360-text.mlt (5.6 KB)

360-obelisk

Another example, using the 360: Equirectangular to Stereographic filter:

360-2

Oh my, this is so much fun :slight_smile:
Here’s another one (last one) using the 360: Transform filter:

360-hill

Sorry for flooding your post with unrelated stuff @Ewan360

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.