Exporting square video from Oculus Quest 2

Hi, I’ve imported video saved on an Oculus Quest 2 VR device. It’s native format is 1024 x 1024, but for some reason when I export it as 1024 x 1024, the actual video is drastically reduced in size with a huge black border, but it’s still 1024 x 1024 in the properties of the finished video. I have looked at the parameters when exporting and I can’t work out why it’s doing that. In fact, I’ve never had any kind of border before that I can recollect. I’m not exporting with the preview resolution. Any ideas?

Mike Hersee

Make sure your Video Mode fps matches your source.
You can check by clicking on Output, then Properties.

If is not set to 1024x1024, then set a custom Video Mode.
Settings → Video Mode → Custom → Add

Creating a custom video mode of 1024 x 1024 solved the problem, thanks

1 Like

That turned out to be a waste of time exporting the square video because youtube simply made it widescreen by adding black bars to each side anyway.

The video may appear as widescreen. The video being square doesn’t control how YouTube positions its playback controls or its footprint on the page displayed.

Here is a 1024x1024 video using the default YouTube’s white background.

Same 1024x1024 video using the dark theme.

Thanks. I’ve decided in future that if I export more Oculus Quest video I’ll trim the top and bottom to make it widescreen myself. It will look better.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.