Export fail?

I’ve only waited for between 5 mins & an hour…I’ve tried these steps multiple times. Soooooo…I’ve just been too impatient and should just cover it up and check it in the morning?

I would expect some motion in an hour; if nothing is happening in that time frame, perhaps it is more serious.

What filters are you using?

I’m only using 3 - Gain audio, Vignette, and Technicolor. I only use very basic filters.

The first two shouldn’t slow you down. Technicolor, I have never used. @ejmillan would know more about that one.

Recently…

How long should it take for it to show SOME sign of progress, like from 0 to 1%? It seems like the videos I previously did started moving almost immediately.

It should get to 3% and show you an estimate in twenty minutes absolute max, unless you are exporting the entire 10th episode of Star Wars at cinema quality.

Why not create, say, a 10 second video and then export that to see what happens. This will answer your question and also answer if the issue lies with your original video that you’re trying to export.

1 Like

The 7 minute video was supposed to be my experiment. I take guess that’s too long. I’m shutting everything down RIGHT THIS SECOND! :slight_smile: :smiley: On my way to a new experiment!

Brilliant! (Why didn’t I think of that?)

Do Save As “MyProjectSafetyArchive.mlt”

Do a SaveAs “MytestProject.mlt”

Split the tracks 10 seconds from the beginning; Remove the long ends.

Export.

1 Like

Did it twice & neither worked. I used the original video, not a copy other than the drag & drop. It was filmed on my smartphone. The first video I used the first 10 seconds & put in all of the filters & keyframes I want to use. Called it ten second experiment. The second video again used the first 10 seconds of the original video, this time called ten second exp again. I did not put any filters in this one. Followed the export steps for both & set the timer on my oven for 20 minutes & went to start dinner. Now I need to finish dinner, all the time wondering wtf am I doing wrong???

In Jobs, right click on the icon on the left-hand end of your export attempt.
Select “View Log”.
Save.
It is a text file, post it here.

I see Jobs, but I don’t see “view log.” I can tell you though, everything is blank.

The View Log choice pops up when you right-click the icon to the left of where it is saying 0%.

hahaha, I had enough work to do to get the video to look decent, so I didn’t even worry about the performance, let alone the export time.
In cases of using a lot of filters or filters with high processing requirements, I usually extract a sub clip of short duration and with it, I do the necessary tests to choose the best combination.

I found this in the view XML. It wouldn’t let me copy the document, but it would let me copy the contents.

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='no'?>
<mlt producer="main_bin" LC_NUMERIC="C" version="6.25.0" title="Shotcut version 21.03.21">
  <profile frame_rate_num="580545000" description="automatic" sample_aspect_num="1" colorspace="709" progressive="1" sample_aspect_den="1" display_aspect_den="1080" frame_rate_den="19308743" width="1920" display_aspect_num="1920" height="1080"/>
  <consumer deinterlace_method="yadif" g="150" ar="48000" threads="0" aspect="1.77778" vpre="medium" target="D:/Sewing/ASMR/fluff practice/ten second exp 3.mp4" top_field_first="2" ab="256k" movflags="+faststart" vcodec="libx264" mlt_service="avformat" acodec="aac" real_time="-1" preset="medium" bf="3" channels="2" rescale="bilinear" crf="23" f="mp4"/>
  <producer in="00:00:00.000" out="00:07:09.080" id="producer0">
    <property name="length">00:07:09.113</property>
    <property name="eof">pause</property>
    <property name="resource">C:/Users/Home/Documents/Sewing/ham/20210321_144545.mp4</property>
    <property name="audio_index">1</property>
    <property name="video_index">0</property>
    <property name="mute_on_pause">0</property>
    <property name="mlt_service">avformat-novalidate</property>
    <property name="seekable">1</property>
    <property name="aspect_ratio">1</property>
    <property name="creation_time">2021-03-21T18:52:55</property>
    <property name="shotcut:hash">a3d308caedd7ffde5face1e5fcc3602c</property>
    <property name="ignore_points">0</property>
    <property name="global_feed">1</property>
    <property name="xml">was here</property>
  </producer>
  <playlist autoclose="1" id="main_bin">
    <property name="xml_retain">1</property>
    <entry in="00:00:00.000" out="00:07:09.080" producer="producer0"/>
  </playlist>
  <producer in="00:00:00.000" out="00:00:10.776" id="black">
    <property name="length">00:00:10.809</property>
    <property name="resource">0</property>
    <property name="mlt_service">color</property>
    <property name="mlt_image_format">rgb24a</property>
    <property name="set.test_audio">0</property>
  </producer>
  <playlist autoclose="1" id="background">
    <entry in="00:00:00.000" out="00:00:10.776" producer="black"/>
  </playlist>
  <producer in="00:00:00.000" out="00:07:09.080" id="producer1">
    <property name="length">00:07:09.113</property>
    <property name="resource">C:/Users/Home/Documents/Sewing/ham/20210321_144545.mp4</property>
    <property name="audio_index">1</property>
    <property name="video_index">0</property>
    <property name="mute_on_pause">0</property>
    <property name="mlt_service">avformat-novalidate</property>
    <property name="seekable">1</property>
    <property name="creation_time">2021-03-21T18:52:55</property>
    <property name="shotcut:hash">a3d308caedd7ffde5face1e5fcc3602c</property>
    <property name="ignore_points">0</property>
    <property name="global_feed">1</property>
    <property name="shotcut:caption">20210321_144545.mp4</property>
    <property name="xml">was here</property>
  </producer>
  <playlist autoclose="1" id="playlist0">
    <property name="shotcut:video">1</property>
    <property name="shotcut:name">V1</property>
    <entry in="00:02:23.914" out="00:02:34.690" producer="producer1"/>
  </playlist>
  <tractor in="00:00:00.000" out="00:00:10.776" global_feed="1" id="tractor0" title="Shotcut version 21.03.21">
    <property name="shotcut">1</property>
    <property name="shotcut:projectAudioChannels">2</property>
    <property name="shotcut:projectFolder">1</property>
    <track producer="background"/>
    <track producer="playlist0"/>
    <transition id="transition0">
      <property name="a_track">0</property>
      <property name="b_track">1</property>
      <property name="mlt_service">mix</property>
      <property name="always_active">1</property>
      <property name="sum">1</property>
    </transition>
    <transition id="transition1">
      <property name="a_track">0</property>
      <property name="b_track">1</property>
      <property name="version">0.9</property>
      <property name="mlt_service">frei0r.cairoblend</property>
      <property name="threads">0</property>
      <property name="disable">1</property>
    </transition>
  </tractor>
</mlt>

I see you found the popup that provides access to both the XML and the Log.
Ussually the Log file is the more useful of the two in such cases of export failure, as it will have an error message with an error number.

Both the View XML window and the View Log window each have “Save” buttons.

However…

So it seems that you could see the XML, but the Save button didn’t work.
And you you are getting nothing on Export.

The only thing that can do both of these is a misconfiguration of either your operating system (which I assume from the symptoms is Windows) or the security software attached to your operating system.
The symptoms are consistent with the operating system not allowing Shotcut (or not allowing melt.exe) to write files.

Excellent! Although that’s above my paygrade, my sweetie should be able to help me out with that part. Thank you so much for your patience and help.

1 Like

So, to close this completely…my av-software was blocking the export process. There is one little option I have to turn off when I want to export my project. Something so simple can be so difficult for some of us. Now…back to the fun!