Do you have plan to save/load multiple filters to 'preset'?

I am not sure but I heard there are some developer and volunteer.

Two developers and some volunteers yes.

Sincerely I want to help them but I do not know how can I help the team.

As the dev told me about the structure of Shotcut, it’s not possible. I’m still trying to understand more about the code before proceding to the actual code.

You can just copy the filter and select a track and paste it from there. That will apply all the filters to the entire timeline.

@Sheep Sorry, but we are not talking about copying the filters from one clip and pasting them to the timeline in a single project.
We talk about presets containing more than one filter that can be saved on the computer and then reused at any time in any other projects.

Yes i know.

In order to load a preset with multiple filter preset is not possible yet. Below is the preset from Colour Grading:

lift_r: -0.468986
lift_g: -0.120989
lift_b: 1.5259e-05
gamma_r: 1.21401
gamma_g: 1.21401
gamma_b: 1.21401
gain_r: 1.10668
gain_g: 1.10668
gain_b: 1.10668

As we can see, there’s no identifier to call the filters. If i put another preset below the colour grading preset, that will make it even harder to call the right filter. For example:

Colour_Grading Filter

lift_r: -0.468986
lift_g: -0.120989
lift_b: 1.5259e-05
gamma_r: 1.21401
gamma_g: 1.21401
gamma_b: 1.21401
gain_r: 1.10668
gain_g: 1.10668
gain_b: 1.10668
White_Balance Filter
#7f7f7f

In order to call the right filter, Shotcut need to add a new func to read the code from a single preset and call the right filters wihtout inserting the filter itself. From the road map, that is not in the list. Maybe someday if people up vote the function.
A good work around is to use @bentacular tips on using MLT template.

@Sheep Yes, I see what you mean. There is no identifier written in the preset itself.

But then how does it work when you copy the filters applied to one clip, then, at anytime in your Shotcut session you can paste them on another clip? There must be some information that Shotcut keeps in memory, or write somewhere in a temporary file.
Can’t this information be saved some way on a permanent file?

It is saved within the .MLT file. For example:

filter id=“filter0” in=“00:00:16.042” out=“00:00:22.250”>
1.5259e-05
lift_gamma_gain

frei0r.colgate
#7f7f7f

lift_gamma_gain

avfilter.hue

From the id=filter, it’s embedded with time stamp making it useless to use on another project.

filter id=“filter1” in=“00:00:16.042” out=“00:00:22.250”>

Again, it only stated filter0, filter1, filter2 and so on. If we want to reuse a single preset in the next session on Shotcut it is hard to call the right filter. Yes, theres a MLT_service call out.Personaly, i’m leaning towards Bens work around for time being.

Hi Sheep.
Yes, we need to ID for each filters so we need 2 steps for my purpose.

First, we need to change format of preset to xml.
Second we reuse loading function of mlt.

I think we can also save/load multiple filters by preset, if we change type of preset to xml same as mlt.

I am investigating code and I hope I can find the solution.
Fortunately, c++ and qt is familiar for me.

1 Like

My way of solving re-using multiple filters, presets and effects is using the MLT as the master preset as shown here.

1 Like

The next version 21.08 supports the system clipboard for copy and paste filters where it places the XML as text on the clipboard. This means you can use a text editor to paste the XML text and save it as a file with a good name for your group of filters. You can save all these XML files to a special folder. Finally, to use, open a file in the text editor, select all, copy, and use Paste filters in Shotcut.

Alternatively, since I also made a change to improve performance running multiple instances of Shotcut at the same time, you can use a playlist of dummy color clips to hold these where you can rename the clip. Then, copy and paste between instances.

I think it would be easy to add a simple UI around this idea within Shotcut where it skips over the whole clipboard part. Rather, it would simply save and load from XML, but one can look at the existing copy and paste code to get some hints and reuse some functions. Thinking about a design for the UI for this, keep in mind the Filters panel is getting crowded. Perhaps add a button to the existing row of buttons to save. Then, the group presets could be listed in the filter chooser that appears after clicking + as a new category (there can be multiple types of filters in a group).

SDKs for working on Shotcut’s code are in the Technical Notes section of the Web site.

3 Likes

@shotcut, that definitely sounds good. Thanks a lot. Can’t wait to use it.
:+1: :+1: :+1:

@bentacular Hi~ bentacular.
Thanks for your hint and lots of video about shotcut.(I am subscriber of your channel.)

Anyway I know the way with mlt but it is not solution on this discussion.
As you know we can not use your method on other project.
I mean I want to load my group of presets anytime and anywhere.

Btw, Shotcut leader decide to support special functions for this issue.
We just wait for next version like kid before Christmas. :slight_smile:

@shotcut Oh! my god!!!
Thanks a lots for your solution about this issue!!! :slight_smile:
I am soooo~~~ happy because of your decision.

I will be looking forward 21.08 :slight_smile:

There you go. Nice update @shotcut . :clap:

Will you sits on Santa’s lap while editing? Just joking

1 Like

Please be aware the extra UI I mentioned above are not a part of the 21.08 release. I have not decided when I will add that if ever. Only the first 2 paragraphs are what is in the 21.08 version, which is already in beta and to be released by the end of the month:

Yes, I know :slight_smile:
But it is enough now.
I am interesting xml clipboard feature.