Creating text over multiple montage pics

I’m creating a montage using many photos. Each photo will display for 5 seconds and I’m overlapping them to create a dissolve transition. I’d like to have text appear over several of the photos as a way of introducing each section of the montage and I’m wondering if someone could tell me how I could achieve this.

I’ve tried to create a separate video track but there’s no way to put a text filter into the empty space. I’ve also tried to combine the photos/transitions so the text would appear longer than the 5 seconds of the picture but that won’t work either.

Hi, I did a tutorial showing how to add text on a separate track (or tracks) which may be of help:

Jon

1 Like

Thank you Jon!

So you duplicated the video track and then added the text to the duplicate copy?

Well you CAN do that. In my tutorial I actually went to open>other>colour, which gives you a coloured clip, which I made transparent (add an opacity filter, set it to 0) and then added a text filter to that. The advantage is that you can move the text clip around horizontally, freely, positioning it timewise where you want it t appear in your video. And by splitting it multiple times you can have different text appearing at different times, such as in subtitles.

Instead of open>other>colour, you can duplicate the first track as you suggest, but make THAT transparent (opacity filter) before adding text.
Hope this helps,
Jon

1 Like