Crash on open or save file dialog in Ubuntu 26.04.1

Operating System: Ubuntu 26.04.1

I installed the Snap version from your downloads page, using command:

snap install shotcut --classic

Shotcut version: 26.9.27

The Problem: Shotcut crashes when I try to save via Control+S, Clicking on “File”+“Save”, Clicking on “File”+“Save As”, Or attempting to change the save file from opening screen.

Repeating the problem: I was able to repeat the problem every time by attempting any of the actions listed above. I also tried installing Snap package directly from package manager, with same outcome. I also tried installing Flatpak package, just to be sure, with same outcome.

I also made sure all required dependencies for Ubuntu/Debian were installed.

Repeated post of

I have not reproduced it, nothing has really changed here in this version. Did you try a previous version that worked?

Maybe get a log by either launching from command line and grab the terminal output. Or, after a crash, start Shotcut, choose View > Application Log > Previous (log of the previous session).

It could be Ubuntu. I used it on windows and it worked great. I’ll grab that log information.

Ok, I was able to revert back to version 26.2.16 and it works great so far.

Here’s that previous log:

Previous Shotcut lo.txt (43.2 KB)

I am running Linux kernel 7.1.5

That’s great, but I also downloaded the app image and had the same problem. I usually stay a version behind on software for this very reason, so continuing to use the previous version is no problem. I really enjoy using Shotcut, so I’ll try again in a few months.

Thank you.

I was replying to @Gagala who suspected it was due to a Linux kernel change. It would not surprise me as this latest version I had to fix a problem opening projects on a mounted CIFS/SMB shared folder when my kernel upgraded to 7.1. However, my understanding is that Ubuntu 26.04.1 is 7.0

https://packages.ubuntu.com/resolute-updates/linux-generic

Fedora 44 with kernel 7.2.7 worked for me as well as Ubuntu 26.04, Then, I updated to 26.04.1 and it fails, but not only Save As. The bug is in the usage of file dialogs. File > Open, and many more places.

(shotcut:46198): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 12:37:56.311: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
**
Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Yaru/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Yaru/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Aborted (core dumped)

I found a workaround is to disable the native file dialog and make Qt use its own:

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=generic shotcut

I think it an Ubuntu bug, not sure I am going to force every Linux user to give up the native file dialog.

Honestly, I just really appreciate you putting in the work/time to find a solution to the issue, especially since it’s an Ubuntu problem. I totally wouldn’t want other Linux users to suffer because of one person’s choice of Distro. I may just try the solution you provided. Thanks again!

Hello,

my workaround with ubuntu 26.04 is to start it so:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsystemd.so.0 snap run shotcut

it works with : latest/stable: 26.9.27

I am not an expert. My guess is that the bundled libsystemd.so.0 from the snap is found first and is older than the system one, and that packaging/linux/snapcraft.yaml.in only needs a small change so that library is not shipped.

Thanks for sharing your find! I can certainly add that for the Snap, portable, and AppImage. The library bundling process is a recursive library dependency collection process followed by removal based on the excludelist maintained by the AppImage development community: pkg2appimage/excludelist at master · AppImageCommunity/pkg2appimage · GitHub
libsystemd.so.* is not on that list and this not excluded. Also, their GitHub Issues/PullRequests never mentions it either. I am rather surprised. Also, it is not clear if the Flatpak, which also has this bug, can be fixed by that.

Wow, thank you!

I just tested the flatpak on ubuntu 26.04.1, and it is working fine for me. Maybe you need to update your runtimes. Nothing is planned here, and it looks out of my control.

I published a new version 26.10.3 of the Snap and AppImage with the fix.