Computer is struggling - poor graphics card

Hey,
I’m hoping someone can help me and give me some pointers. I have a decent PC built for music production, but not for video production, and it’s 8 years or so old. We picked one of the cheapest graphics cards, simply because at the time we didn’t need a good one. However, now I’m also into video making, and the computer struggles every time I put any effect filters or have too many tracks up. It stops playing at full speed and the image gets jerky. This week I will also start working on another video project, and I’m hoping I’ll be able to use an even higher quality…
So, what can I do, except buy another graphics card?
Is there any way I can have the screen not display and process the full quality of the video while I’m working on it, so that when I export it only then will the full quality be processed. I still need to see the details in regards to timing, but I don’t need to see all the pixels when I’m working on the project. What I’m thinking of would not reduce the quality of the video itself.
Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks,
Caroline

Our very own @bentacular made this excellent tutorial.

1 Like

Wow, thanks! This is exactly what I was talking about! I’ve changed all my settings now and I’m ready to go! Awesome! Thanks! :grinning:

2 Likes

Making these changes really made a difference for my project! :+1:

1 Like

I have recently been into some cloud servers, they perform much better when I am not using my own desktop, and working on someone’s potato PC, you can get a free trial of them, and buy one in future when you have enough money.

I currently use azure.

Caroline, as a thought for the future - how much RAM does your PC have? You might get significantly more performance bang-for-buck by adding RAM than by upgrading GPU.

Yay!

Thanks, I’ll look into it.

You have some great tutorials! Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you! Don’t forget to subscribe!

I’m subscribing.

1 Like

Yay!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.