Change interpolation method for Rotate and Scale filter?

In May '18, shotcut wrote (in the topic: Can I use “Size and Position” filter without blurry effect?) :

For in-app preview, it uses Settings > Interpolation. For export, it uses Export > Video > Interpolation.

Pardon the newbie question, but I see a menu-bar “Settings” menu and not an “Export” menu–how do I get to this option? (I did find an Interpolation setting in the Export pane, having pressed Advanced, after Deinterlacer, but I presume it’s only for the deinterlacing; at any rate, I set it and saw no result when I exported again.)

What I’m going for is what you’ll see in the lowest-right scaled inset below (which I scaled from the base image with Photoshop & nearest-neighbor). What I’m getting is the inset Shotcut scaled in the video, just “behind” it. (Some might think I’m splitting hairs, but the high-frequency (sharp) edges on the nearest-neighbor scaled pixels prevent the eye from thinking they need to re-focus; even though it’s scaled antialiased text, it’s more comfortable; clearer to my eye.)

P.S. Is there an easy way to put, say, a red border or drop shadow around the inset to help people feel that it’s not a part of the base image?

Here’s the image (linked so the Web site software doesn’t “fix” it…)

BTW: thank you for all the hard work and this great gift to the community!

My thoughts and experiences.

My experience with making video of fine text, is best to avoid the situation as much as possible. I find it’s best to have the application or web browser text be as large as possible for a video that still allows you to show all of the information you want to show.

I’ve found that recording in 4k (~5k CBR bit rate) 30fps , for a 1080p video provides the best detail, which I scale down the source to the Video Mode of 1080p provides a superior image. I’ve only worked in Progressive mode. I use OBS to record browser windows & games. For a free program there is a lot of control on how you want your recording to be.

I will try to post examples in the next few days to a week here.

You can make up your own image through a graphic editor, or you can use Shotcut to create a color, then mask the color around.

To get a color into Shotcut, click on Open Other, then Color.
2019-09-25_20-08-22
This is a rather crude example, images taken from a smaller resolution then scaled up.
I left the red border box short on purpose.

Neat; thanks!

Been using OBS on a 4k+ screen for just a few months, but it’s mostly working fine (after days dialing it in: had to disable my AMD graphics, then re-enable to see anything but a black screen in OBS–hit on that by accident, but that’s another story).

Encouraged by your results I captured at the full 3840x2560, and had Windows scale 300% so the Java Frames were a good size. (Java is not dpi-aware, so it’s just duplicating pixels, but that’s yet another story and I’m okay with duped pixels so long as they aren’t smeared by some over-zealous “keep it pretty” scaling method…)

Got the captured FLV into Shotcut, but Shotcut is running the video in a very choppy way–I presume because it’s such a large image. Any suggestions on optimizing its execution?

NEVER MIND–changed Settings > Display Mode to OpenGL (from DirectX (Angle) and it’s nice and smooth now.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.