Blend Modes - What am I missing?

I have a pretty good understanding of photoshop blend modes and I’ve looked at the the various posts and tutorials I can find, but blend modes still seem to do something different than I intend.

(Sorry - I had images for all of these, but new users can only insert one image.)

If I want to set up a bunch of videos in a grid (like a Zoom meeting or virtual choir), I would think that the default “over” setting should work, but all I get is that layer and the one above it. Nothing below it.

I don’t understand why all of the layers are not visible if the blend is set to “over.”

Using “none,” I only get that layer. Nothing above or below.

Using “add” gets this:

The only way I could make this work was using the “add” blend mode and a crop filter on EVERY clip. This seems like a good workaround, but I don’t think it’s the way it’s supposed to work.

What am I missing?

Somewhat related to this problem: This is anecdotal and I can’t replicate it every time, but sometimes I’ll make a change to one of the lower layers (make it visible or add a filter) and everything above will suddenly appear on all layers. I’m usually so surprised when that happens that I don’t take note of what I just did.

While I was totally stuck with this problem yesterday, I think I figured it out. I wasn’t finding the answers I needed because I was looking for help with blend modes. The problem was actually with the cropping filter. I found the answer here:
https://forum.shotcut.org/t/cropped-videos-wont-overlay/11691

Basically, if you crop videos for an overlay, the padding alpha channel has to be set to 0.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.