Audio playing out of the left channel only

I was using Shotcut to edit a video recently and decided to update the program. After updating for some reason all of the audio tracks started to play only out of the left audio channel. This is only happening in Shotcut as I tried playing a youtube video and both audio channels are working. Is there a simple quick and easy fix or do I have to add the copy channel filter to every audio track in order to fix it?

Is it the same video that you are playing everywhere?
Maybe the one you are editing only has 1 channel, and the video you played on yt has two channels.

Make sure your Audio Channels are set to “2 (stereo)”.

The audio works normally in VLC. It’s only in shotcut that it’s playing out of one audio channel.

I checked and it was set to “2 (stereo)”. I’m not entirely sure what I could’ve done to make it so the audio played out of the left channel only. It seems to only have affected the beginning portion of the video I edited. The part that I didn’t edit yet played out of both audio channels.

Here are a couple more suggestions:

1. Close Shotcut and reopen it.

2. Take a screenshot of your project showing the section that is not working. Maybe we will see something in the UI that will give a clue.

It only really affected the beginning portion I edited. Additionally it didn’t only affect one audio track it affected all three. The video track didn’t run into the same issue though. I’ve already fixed the problem with the copy channel filter, but I still don’t know what could’ve caused it.

On Linux, the current update for ffmpeg requires the installation of mbedtls2.
After that, 1-channel (or mono audio) is only played in the left channel.

(Updates for chromaprint, ffmpeg, ffmpeg4.4, libplacebo, mlt or mpv
requires mbedtls2).

After installing mbedtls2, mono audio is only played on the left.
Kdenlive has the same problem. Audacity, VLC, MPV or SMPlayer no problems.

If I reset the update via timeshift, (i.e. use an older snapshot), everything is back to the old state and mono is played back on both channels.

Latest status:
Almost all mono or 1-channel audio files (ac3, flac, m4a, mp2, mp3 and ogg) behave normally, i.e. they are played back in Shotcut in both channels.

Only wav files from Audacity and Ocenaudio cause problems in that they are only played back in the left channel.

Maybe it’s “just” Audacity and Ocenaudio problem - strange.
I will look for a standardized wav in mono and try that.

Do any of you have such a mono file that is neither from Audacity nor from Ocenaudio?

edit:
The problem also occurs with many (all?) wav files from the Internet. It is probably not really due to Audacity.

Use the Copy Channel audio filter to remedy the issue if desired.

Yes, there are a few ways to get around the problem, but I’m confused by the fact that this phenomenon didn’t exist for years and only came about a few weeks ago when Manjaro Linux was updated. How is it with you? Do you play a mono wav file correctly?

I recreated this and it is fixed for the next release (probably next month).

1 Like

Yes, I reproduced it. It was reported in a strange manner here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.