Audio crackling issue while editing

What is your operating system?
Windows 10

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
I recently updated to the latest version of Shotcut and have notice that any audio my clips have is constantly crackling and popping while being played back. If the clip is played back in windows movies and tv the crackling and popping is not there. when the project is exported the audio also sounds normal in the exported file. here is a video of the issue in question https://youtu.be/IgL9hRGgH1A.

System specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
Memory: 32GB
GPU 0: Intel Arc A770
GPU 1: Nvidia GTX 1070

the video clips in question were recorded with OBS with the following settings,
resolution: 1920X1080
FPS: 30
Video Encoder: QuickSync AV1
Audio Encoder FFmpeg AAC

Encoder Settings:
Rate control: CQP
CQP: 23
Target Usage: TU4: Balanced
Profile: main
Keyframe Interval: 0s
Latency: normal
B-Frames: 3

If the distortion happens in preview, but not in the export, then the problem is that Shotcut is either having trouble seeking in your file, or it is having trouble keeping up with real-time playback so it skips frames.

If you can provide a screenshot of the Properties panel for your clip, we could see if it is variable frame rate.

Another test would be to click the “Convert…” button in the properties panel, wait for the conversion to complete, and then try to play the converted file.

here is the Properties panel.

as I stated above I recently updated to this version of shot cut, the old version I was using did not have issues with this clip.

I did attempt to convert it but it made no difference

Is Settings > Player > Realtime turned on? The default is on, and often that is necessary to be on to have continuous audio.
If that is on, please try the different Windows audio API command line options:

If you find one that works better you can put it into the app icon like so

the old version I was using did not have issues

The old version had issues with audio output stopped when Windows default output device changes, for example, plugging headphones or bluetooth re-/dis-connect. Fixing this required a library update that had audio quality issues (similar to what you describe) with certain combinations of channels and API. The default API choice is based on what works most reliable in a combination of channel count and output device changes on my systems.

Editing Performance does have nothing to do with the encoding settings.
The editing playback speed is dependent on the formats of the source videos.
VP8 is faster in decoding than VP9 or AV1.
Note that reverse playback for all different with hardware accelerated codecs is very delicate to implement.

Yes, it does. The mentioned encoder settings are what is being used in OBS. Within Shotcut some people might render a sub-project or a complex portion and then include that. In that case, Shotcut’s encoding settings matter.

reverse playback for all different with hardware accelerated codecs is very delicate to implement

Shotcut does not yet do hardware accelerated decoding.

ok so I took a break from using shotcut for a while and did some other things and when I cam back the issue was gone. I changed nothing it just started to work properly. Thank you everyone for your help.