Animation (Glaxnimate) : Camera viewfinder Overlay

I created this fake camera viewfinder display with Glaxnimate a couple of days ago.
Feel free to download and use it if you need such a thing in your projects:
viewfinder.zip (19.8 KB)

It’s easy to use.

Extract the viewfinder.rawr file from the ZIP and drag it to your timeline.
It should be compatible with Shotcut projects of any size and any frame rate.
The animation is only 6 seconds long, but you can copy/paste as many as you want side by side to make it last as long as you need.

If you want to add a time counter, apply a Text: Simple filter to the track HEAD and use the #timecode# insert.

3 Likes

Nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

In the animation, did you mean to also have the meter for the battery and the corners around the cross hairs blink?

I didn’t mean for them to blink. Honestly, I didn’t know they are suppose to :grimacing:
I just needed something quick and simple to insert for a few seconds in a video, so I didn’t go nuts with the authenticity.

I wasn’t asking about authenticity. :slightly_smiling_face:
Of course the red record symbol circle blinks but I asked because the battery and corners of the crosshairs blink every so often even though the outer corners never do.

Speaking of authenticity, I’m also trying to mimic the binocular used in Star Wars: Rogue One… I’m about 50% done copying the effect.

1 Like

I don’t get that here. Do you see them blink when using the file on your computer?

Yeah. When I copy and paste the clip a bunch of times it happens every now and then.

By the way, you can also go to the properties of the rawr clip, set a duration then extend the clip in the timeline to fill that duration. It’s supposed to repeat the animation until the end when that’s done. But with both methods, the battery and corners of the crosshairs blink every so often.

Looks very cool. :+1:

Since you been using Glaxnimate more, what do you think?

That’s strange. Like I said, I don’t get that here. So I don’t know what’s happening… If someone else download and tries the file, maybe they can tell if the have the same problem.

I like it. I’ve been waiting for a long time for a tool to create complex animated masks. Glaxnimate works very well for that.

Even more complicated than the one you experimented with here?

Would it be easier to create that banner animation for text you did before with Glaxnimated? I wonder if it would also be easy to customize it (e.g. colors, opacity, etc…) like how your old animated banner text animation was.

Yes of course. The mask I made for this example was very simple.
A few months ago I posted this video. The masking was done frame by frame with Photoshop. What took 45 minutes to do in Photoshop would probably take 15 minutes with Glaxnimate.

About the text animation. At the moment I think it’s easier for me to use Shotcut. Some basic features are missing in Glaxnimate right now. Like for example an horizontal scroll bar in the timeline. Also, again in the timeline, a way to quickly and accurately jump from keyframe to keyframe.

You think you can do a tutorial for that one? It’d be nice to have a tutorial out there showing that an animated mask can be done now with Shotcut/Glaxnimate. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s on my list. The script is half completed. Problem is, I don’t have much time for tutorials these days. I’ll get back to it when it gets too hot to work outside.

How’s this one coming along? :slightly_smiling_face:

To be honest, it’s on ice at the moment. But not forgotten. It’s somewhere on my to-to list :slight_smile:

I am trying to get a better understanding of Glax. I was wonder what the process is for getting the red dot to appear and then disappear?

In Glaxnimate timeline, if you open the Group 4 layer, then the Red Dot 1 layer, you’ll see that I used “Hold” type keyframes on the Opacity parameters.

Hold” keyframes allows to change directly from one state to another. In that case from 0% to 100% opacity.

The first Hold keyframe is set at 100% opacity : The red dot will be visible at 100% opacity until the playhead reaches the next Hold keyframe that is set at 0% opacity. Then the red dot will stay at 0% opacity until the playhead reaches the next keyframe, set a 100% opacity… And so on…

2 Likes