Alpha Version 23.03 now available to test

Thanks, and fixed!

A bit of feedback from me, albeit not very helpful at this point but just for awareness: I tried exporting a rather complex 45min long existing project (made in the stable version) and after about 30 minutes I noticed in task manager RAM usage was at 99% (32 GB total, 24GB used by melt.exe and 90GB of commited memory (donā€™t know how much exactly used by melt) ā†’ which Iā€™m not sure what itā€™s used for but my SSD drive was filled up as it probably caches there and it only has about 60 GB of space left). Commit size and RAM were both slowly going up. GPU effects were enabled for this run.

I stopped the export and confirmed that RAM, Commit size and SSD drive space went back to the regular values. The export was at 33% when I stopped it and just started re-exporting in the stable Shotcut 22.12.21 and going on at 43% export progress right now with around 9GB RAM usage and 11GB commit size both quite stable since at least 5% ago.

For context I have 4 video tracks + 1 audio. Clips are mostly non-overlapping (Iā€™d say maximum 5minutes have picture in picture effect), I have a ton of Text:Simple, Color grading, Fisheye and a few Crop:Source and SPR (some of these with keyframes).

Video mode is 1080p29.97 but exporting in 1440p29.97 CPU default x264 settings. Media used is mostly 2.7k@59.97, 4k30, 1080p30 and some jpegs.

I will try tomorrow to make sure this is reproduced again and maybe toggle some filters off, not sure what to try and narrow this down.

And Iā€™m curious about one thing: I did a random 1minute export test and noticed the alpha version exports a bit faster, was this a random fluke or is it expected to be faster by default even without using hardware encoder for export?

Edit: Iā€™m using Windows10 x64, ryzen cpu, nvidia gpu

1 Like

If the project was not created with GPU Effects turned on, then it is not really using GPU Effects. There is no conversion yet. Now, you can still open a project made without GPU Effects turned on. Then, add things (video tracks, transition, GPU filters), and it will start adding their GPU implementation in addition to what already exists. Thatā€™s not a great idea, but usually it works. Thanks for your feedback.
I cannot comment about the increased export speed beyond what I already wrote in the release notes. A lot of things are changing and updating including FFmpeg major version for the beta. Minor differences are negligible.

1 Like

How do I ensure GPU effects are enabled right from the start?

Main menu: Settings > GPU Effects should be on immediately after launching Shotcut (and not launching by opening a project file if you have a file type association setup in your OS).

Please be aware that in this alpha version when you turn on GPU Effects that setting leaks into older installed versions where it does not work well. So, if you turn this on for playing around and then return to a release version for some work you should turn this back off (same menu location)!
The next, beta version fixes that so you can turn it on for newer versions only.

To Dan, Brian and everyone else who contributed to all of the advances that are here in this Alpha release, I take my hat off to you. Thanks for all the work that was put into this as it is a big step forward for Shotcut. :+1:

I found some free time to take this Alpha for a quick spin and here are bugs that I found:

• Tool tip for Advanced Keyframes can be obstructive. In this pic here, the cursor and keyframe are blocked by the tool tip.
  • GPU Brightness highest limit (200%) is not as high as the regular CPU Brightness filter. GPU Brightness 200% vs CPU Brightness 200%
  • Advanced Keyframes for GPU Size and Position are not working.
  • Pressing the icon for Advanced Keyframes for GPU Contrast doesnā€™t open the Advanced Keyframes for it.
  • Put one video on top of another in the timeline. Add to the video on top, GPU Size and Position or GPU Crop: Source. Add the Contrast filter on the video on top. Take the level up to 99.6% and everything will be fine. But take it to 99.7% and the video underneath will turn black.
  • Put one video on top of another in the timeline. Add to video on top, either of these 2 filters: GPU Size and Position or GPU Crop: Source. Move the parameters of either so that both the video on top and the video underneath can be seen. Then after adding any one of the following CPU filters, the video underneath turns black: Blur: Gaussian, Chroma Hold, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Deband, Grid, Halftone, Hue/Lightness/Saturation, LUT (3D), Nervous, Noise: Fast, all Old Film filters, Reduce Noise: Quantization/Smart Blur/Wavelet, Reflect, Sepia Tone, Sketch, Stabilize, Threshold, Trails, Vignette, and Wave filter. Demo pic without these CPU filters vs Demo pic with one of these CPU filters
  • Put a clip on top of another in the timeline. Add to the video on top either filter: GPU Size and Position or GPU Crop: Source. Make sure the playhead is on the clip so that itā€™s in view in the player. Then add the Choppy filter. Shotcut will crash.

Some feedback on the Motion Tracker filter:

• Currently the color of the preview box is green and it canā€™t be changed. Consider adding an option to change the color of the preview box in case the scenery and/or subject one wants to track is green.

• Providing an option that would show an explanation of each motion tracking algorithm would be very welcomed and so useful for users. Perhaps like an icon could be added that would show a window or something with a description for each algorithm. I suggest this so that it can be translated in the other languages available for Shotcut. If thatā€™s not possible for whatever reason then, at the very least, providing a web link that leads to an explanation of the algorithms could also be done although including it inside the program itself would be preferable.

• A common occurrence with motion tracking is when the tracking loses the subject. In other programs, the user has options on how to continue in order to finish the tracking. From what I can see, there is nothing really here to do that so that you can end up with one complete uninterrupted track of a clip. 1st, it would be nice if the analysis stops as soon as it loses track of the subject rather than it analyzing the whole clip even after it lost tracking of the subject. 2nd, something missing here that should be added are Advanced Keyframes to mark what the Motion Tracker mapped out so that the user can go to where the track got lost and manually fill in the gaps or finish it. 3rd, it would be fantastic if something equivalent to Offset Tracking is added. This is featured in Blender and essentially is when the object you are tracking for a moment is blocked somehow but it is still in motion then you can pick something else on screen that has a similar path to track in its place then add that tracking data to the original subjectā€™s path to complete the tracking. A demo of Offset Tracking and how this is done in Blender can be seen at this video tutorial here. The link is already cued up to the start of the demo and lasts about 6 minutes so you can stop it at 14:52.

• Tracking more than one point at the same time would be useful so that the tracking data can eventually be added to a filter like Corner Pin.

• Is there multi-threading applied on the Motion Tracker filter?

Finally, what is the GPU Diffusion filter supposed to do? I tested it briefly and it didnā€™t seem to be doing much if anything at all.

3 Likes

Itā€™s very exciting to see Shotcut continuing advancing the open-source NLE from the catering by Dan and other contributors. I cannot help myself breaking the silence to contribute more than just translations. :slight_smile:

I happen to have a Pinebook Pro with up-to-date Manjaro installed hence I think I could help test the ARM64 Linux build, assuming below command will lead to the alpha build:

flatpak install --user https://dl.flathub.org/build-repo/10191/org.shotcut.Shotcut.flatpakref

Before starting, I have a few questions:

1. Is there a test cases or suite I should refer to while testing the Shotcut?
  2. Anything specific I should look out for with this ARM64 build during the testing?

Well, obviously not that one

flatpak install --user https://dl.flathub.org/build-repo/10191/org.shotcut.Shotcut.flatpakref

gave me a 404 straightaway.

@shotcut would you please kindly share more hint on how to get the Flatpak test build? It seems to be only option for ARM64 Linux which Iā€™m happy to test.

Thanks,

obviously not that one

That is all that is available, and I guess flathub removes test builds after some time. I will update it soon as well the beta is coming by end of the month.

1 Like

That old bug that makes Shotcut not play audio files right if the audio file has cover art is back. So for example if you take an audio file that has cover art, place the cursor somewhere later in the clip, play it then bring it back to the start the clip, the audio heard wonā€™t be from the start but instead continue from later in the clip even though you are actually at the start of the clip.

I see.

Will the upcoming Beta version be provided via flathub-beta channel?

I will hold on the ARM64 Linux test till end of the month, then.

Thanks,

No, I am going to push the beta to the regular flathub a few days after because A) there is a major bug in the latest Qt 5.15 revisions that introduces a major bug that we cannot fix or workaround and B) there is no real kind of developer-controlled beta channel for flatpak that I am aware of.

Thatā€™s even better!

PS I thought this was the developer-controlled beta channel:

Is this Alpha version supposed to be compatible with macOS 10.14 Mojave?

Yes, but after testing in a clean macOS environment (not including MacPorts from a former build machine), I found a couple of missing libs that I will fix for the beta.

Oh wait, after some more cleaning of the environment and running under Guest account I found that it is working for me. I also have another Intel BigSur machine with no remnants of a build system where it is working. Brian found one of his machines would often crash on start and that problem went away after removing saved settings. I suspect that was due to some saved layout info from the previous version with Qt 5. It would be great if you can first remove the geometry and windowState config items and see if that solves it. If not, try moving the config file completely to another location (so you can restore if you like) and try again.