2K Export Issues

What is your operating system?
Windows 10

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Step 1: I created a custom video mode, 2560x1440, 16:9, 60fps, progressive, 709 colorspace.
Step 2: Open Other, Text, write some stuff, drag it to the timeline
Step 3: Add any video content after the text with a gap between the text playing out and the video content.
Step 4: Export to MP4.

movflags=+faststart
cbr=1
vminrate=30M
f=mp4
acodec=aac
channels=2
ar=48000
ab=384k
vcodec=h264_nvenc
vb=30M
vmaxrate=30M
vbufsize=12288000
g=30
bf=2
width=2560
height=1440
aspect=1.77778
progressive=1
top_field_first=2
deinterlace_method=yadif
rescale=hyper
frame_rate_num=60000000
frame_rate_den=1000000
threads=23

Step 5: Review the output. For me this sometimes displays the text, or a blank screen. You end up hearing the video start but it never transitions.

Video of it happening.

Many users have been having trouble with the hardware encoder. Turn it off in your advanced export settings and it should work.

Didn’t work unfortunately. Same issue

Probably worth noting, that this only started happening when I updated to the latest version.

Yes. There are almost a dozen reports from users that hardware encoder does not work the same for them after upgrading to the latest version. Sorry to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you unchecked “Use Hardware Encoder”?

If you open the exported file in Shotcut, does it play back correctly?

Yes, it does playback when I load it back into shotcut.

I’ve tried the default windows app, VLC and windows media player so far. Same deal.

Maybe the checkbox does not take effect since you specify this in your custom export configuration:

vcodec=h264_nvenc

Here is a suggestion to get you back on track:

1. Do an export using the standard YouTube export profile
  2. Confirm the export works with your players
  3. Create a new custom profile based on the youtube profile
  4. Change items in the profile one-at-a-time until you find the setting that is causing the problem

Tedious, I know. But if it isn’t the hardware encoder, it must be one of the other settings.

Could upscaling from 1080 to 2k be part of the problem? I tried removing the text and loading the video in by itself and it will not playback properly.

I do not think that upscaling would cause the problem you are demonstrating.

The YouTube preset with 2k works. I’ll start swapping out settings and see what I can find.

I suggest to start with vcodec=h264_nvenc

Yep, I changed that 1 thing to libx264 and it worked. I’ll have to change over to using that for now.