Xubuntu 16.04 XFCE 4.12

I have used Shotcut in a few different Ubuntu distros and most of them ran really well. Last week (and still presently) I cannot get Shotcut 17.06 to run properly on Xubuntu w/ XFCE4. At first I thought it was since I tinkered with the system, so I tried on a different machine, same result… I further tested it on a HYPER-V box and same result. I have reinstalled Xubuntu about 5 times looking for a configuration that works properly and I am looking for advice on what else I could check.

Here is the best I can describe the issue… Shotcut will open without errors however, it takes 2-5 seconds to respond to any movement, and playback skips from 1 to 4/5 to 7/8/9 seconds… Its HORRIBLE!!! I am running this with plenty of RAM, CPU Speed, and SSD drives. I have tried the portable and snaps, and both behave the same way on all three sets of different hardware. I immediately switched to another install using Mint XFCE and shotcut was fine… So far its only been Xubuntu.

A similar issue with Chromium existed until I fixed it with the --disable-gpu flag… The best I can say is that its SUPER sluggish. There are no errors in any logs so its difficult to diagnose.

Has anyone got Shotcut working on Xubuntu 16.04.3? Did you tweak anything?

This sounds like it is using software OpenGL via Mesa llvmpipe. Run glxinfo | grep OpenGL in a terminal to confirm. Also, in Shotcut View > Application Log… will show it after you try to play something. There is no disable-gpu flag for Shotcut; it is heavily dependent upon it no only for GUI stuff (Qt Quick) but also its video preview.