Windows 7 vs Windows 10?

I am formatting my computer, I am struggling to decide on which windows to install.
Windows 10 does not ask user whether to install upadates or not.

Let me know your views on which to choose version of window.

Thanks

I know there is a way to disable auto updates in windows 10 and windows 10 is gonna get more support from microsoft, i’d go with windows 10.

1 Like

Support for W7 ends January 2020.
Go with W10 or may be try Linux.

3 Likes

Yea linux is a good option for developers and many programs including shotcut support linux. Ubuntu or mint aren’t bad options.

In particular this means any security vulnerabilities not found and fixed in Windows by then will stay in Windows 7 forever. I upgraded all 4 of my windows systems to Windows 10 several years ago and have had no problems.

1 Like

In theory, support W7 support ends Jan 2020.
However, if XP is anything to go by, support officially ended 8 April 2014 (after several extensions). However, Microsoft continued issuing security fixes, with the most recent security patch on 15 May 2019.
The huge base of XP meant that MS had to placate big customers, like banks, who could not, or would not, quickly migrate. W7 is the same.
W7 has fewer layers of eye candy than W10, is faster, and under the hood is easier to streamline.
The clincher for me to migrate would be if an application, critical to my needs, had a bug that the developer would not fix. Alternatively, a ‘must have’ application or device came along which did not support W7.
I suspect that MS will start leaning on suppliers of hardware and peripherals, not to sell or support anything but the latest.
Open source developers IMHO tend to support old versions of Windows for longer.
I’m happy with my setup and won’t upgrade any time soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.