Will I be Able to Edit mp2 Files in Shotcut?

I am new to video editing and have found Shotcut in my task of transferring old vhs to dvd. Going ok with some bumps along the road. Just sent out old 8mm film to be digitized also. It will be put on a dvd and a thumb drive. The service will be using mp2 as the file format. Will I be able to edit these on Shotcut once I load the info on the thumb drive onto my computer or will there be problems?

1 Like

MPEG-2 as a video codec is supported. The potential problem is what container they use. If it’s a .mts or .mt2s or similar Transport Stream file, then the odds are 50/50 whether it will edit smoothly right out of the box. Worst case scenario is to do a Convert to Edit-Friendly on the received files and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I dont know what you mean by container. I am familiar though with the edit friendly dialogue box that comes up when starting the project. I have used that for some of my vhs to dvd editing. I hope it works.
I am not so computer savy as you may have guessed, but maybe I can convert the mp2 to mp 4 and hopefully that may work to. I am just trying to preserve 8mm film I took in the 1980’s and have the ability to rearrange the segments of film if necessary in the editing process. Thank you very much for your help.

1 Like

@rusty859:

Translation - “(The container is the internal structure of the video file, wrapped around the sequence-of-frames video stream itself.) So depending on that, Shotcut may give strange results when you start moving clips around on the timeline, if your mp2 files appear directly in your Playlist. Or they may be fine.
But have no fear, all is not lost.
Shotcut has a feature, Convert to Edit Friendly, that will make copies of your files for you, in a form that will always edit smoothly.
Simply select your mp2 file inside Shotcut, Click Properties, then click the Convert button and make your choice from the menu.”

Thank you for the information.
I am not so tech savvy. My converted film will be completed in about 3 weeks. I will let you know if the editing is successful.

1 Like

Come back here, then, when you have your files, and we will walk you through it.

That sounds like a deal to me, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.