Why I transcode to 4K and fast bit rate

I started out editing a cable access TV show about 15 years ago. We recorded on 3/4 inch U-Matic and edited down to S-VHS for cable play. I was so glad when we were able to edit the shows at home. I still have my JVC HR-S7800U which works marvelously on old analog tapes.

Thanks for warning me away from Resolve. That will save a lot of time :relaxed:

As I write this my 1 hour long HDV .m2t (mpeg-2) video is about half-way through transcoding to ProRes. Then, I will check to see if Zooming and so on is better. If it’s no faster then I am likely to just edit directly as I have been doing. If Zooming is really faster then I will Export to mp4 and see if the quality is noticeably better and worth the double Export.

After over 4 hours transcoding I added my cruise clips to the Shotcut Timeline. It still takes “forever” to generate an audio waveform but I am happy to report that the Zoom feature works much, much better on the ProRes video even while Shotcut is chugging along with the audio. I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if the quality is better.

There’s an archaic English phrase to bear in mind: the exhortation to “possess yourself in patience”. [/big grin]