White Balance

The White Balance filter works well by following these steps:

Restore “Neutral color” and “Color temperature” to their defaults (6500 degrees).

Click on the eyedropper and position the crosshairs over an object which is supposed to be white, e.g. a white card, white shirt, etc. and click.

Thanks Dan. I was just looking for more information on the White Balance tool and incorporating it into my workflow.

Just looking for a clarification, though. I’m coming from the photography world where we try to use 18% gray as a target for the White Balance eyedropper. In fact, card stocks are made with this color for that very purpose. Is it different in the world of video editing? If I click on something that is absolute white (I’m guessing, something that is close to #ffffff), theoretically I could click on a section with blown highlights and not get an accurate white balance. Those blown highlights would be #ffffff no matter what the overall white balance is for the rest of the image. Again, I don’t know if this is similar or different from the world of photography.

Of course, you can use a better methodology such as a 18% gray card but the advice above is for the majority of users who have not shot something like that. You can certainly apply ideas and best practices from photography to video as well.

1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t want to break the program. :sweat_smile: