When I uploaded my Shotcut-edited video to YouTube, I have white bars on either side. Is there a way to eliminate these and have the video fill the whole YouTube screen?

I edited a video on Shotcut. Then I uploaded it to YouTube. As far as I know it was the automatic Shotcut size of 1920 x 1080 pixels, which is a 16:9 ratio. When it plays on YouTube, it has white bars on each side of the screen. Is there a way to eliminate these and have the video fill the whole YouTube screen? The bar on the left is perhaps one-tenth the total screen width, and the same on the right.

Incidentally, is there a way for me to verify that the video is indeed 1920 x 1080 after it has been exported to my desktop?

In Windows, right click on the file. Properties, Details tab, then scroll down just a bit.
explorer_2018-12-11_09-15-32

On YouTube once uploaded while playing the video, right click anywhere in the video screen:
2018-12-11_09-19-28
2018-12-11_09-20-24

The Viewport is what the end user chooses, meaning there is all different ways the viewer can be adjusted with the browser to full screen, etc… YouTube is adaptive to every aspect ratio. Unless you export with black/white bars, there is no more black boxing effect with YouTube.

2 Likes

To avoid black boxing a video, set Video Mode before starting a project. Export with YouTube preset, and do not go into Advanced unless you know what you are doing.

I always use 1080p 60 fps, so I just leave it set there. You can make custom video modes as well.

1 Like

Thanks, @Hudson555x. So here is the order I tried:
1.) Set video mode to 1080p 60fps.
2.) Edited the video.
3.) Highlighted the YouTube preset under “Export,” and then exported, which actually exported the video to my desktop.
4.) Uploaded the video from the desktop to YouTube. But it still has black bars on each side. But you’re saying it shouldn’t have black bars on each side? Or have I done something wrong in the procedure?

I’m suspecting your video source is not a 16:9 aspect ratio.
The main video you’re bring in to edit, either through windows (Properties/Detail), or in Shotcut, click on the clip, then Properties, will show the resolution of the source video.

In Windows:
explorer_2018-12-11_09-15-32

In Shotcut: Video Mode set to 1080p, 60fps.

Further more, if you’re worried about staying within the 1080p resolution realm for YouTube, it’s not really required as you can’t filter search by resolution size any longer, but you can filter search for HD, 4K, etc…

Here is a video that’s no where close to 1080p. https://youtu.be/v4xZUr0BEfE And resize your browser window while playing and see what happens.

And in this video: https://youtu.be/jM8dCGIm6yc is a 1440p video with intentional black bars. YouTube is not making the black bars. It’s edited/encoded this way.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Hudson555x, upon initial check, I think you’re right that the original video wasn’t 16:9.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.