When converting some gifs to mp4, the progress bar goes past 100%

What is your operating system?
Windows 11

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
22.04.25 64-bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

To repeat this problem you must take a .gif file into Shotcut and drop it into the timeline. It should pop up a window like this.

Clicking Ok with the quality at medium will then start the process of making it edit friendly which you can view in the Jobs tab.

After it reaches 100%, it keeps going, but it seems to stop at 233% from my testing.

Something else i should note is that only some gifs I put in would show the Convert To Edit-Friendly tab.

Here’s the log:
(There are a lot of dropped frames in the log, I don’t believe they are important.)

[When converting some gifs to mp4, the progress bar goes past 100%]

This is actually fairly common for variable frame rate (VFR) clips. The progress bar uses the number of frames expected divided by the number of frame converted to calculate the progress. But for VFR clips, it is not always possible to know how many frames to expect - so the number is estimated (sometimes incorrectly). The 233% will not cause a problem for the converted file.

From your log:

[Info ] AvformatProducerWidget::onFrameDecoded “F:/2022/projects/No tile drops/nether.gif” is variable frame rate

Shotcut uses a heuristic/algorithm to try to detect VFR clips. The logic is not perfect and sometimes clips with VFR are not detected - and therefore Shotcut does not offer to convert them.

1 Like

I see, thanks! Quite a funny, but indeed harmless bug but I thought to report it anyways just so its documented.