What is a audio monitor?

(Source:- image-line.com, not the original picture of his speakers)
I just visited a newly shifted person in my neighborhood, and I saw this, I asked him why do you use that big speakers, so he said these are audio monitors. I searched on internet, but I still don’t understand what it is.

Does anyone know what is a audio monitor?

1 Like

Funny… the exact picture that you posted is on this website which explains the difference.
Monitor Speakers

2 Likes

Ya, I downloaded the picture that was matching to his monitors, because he didn’t give me the permission to capture his monitors.

And I tried to see that website, but still didn’t understand. :pensive:

Because I don’t know science that well, I mean I remember that frequency was a topic in science, but I forgot what was explanation , my life has mostly covered maths.

In that same article, links to this wiki article explaining further.

1 Like

When mixing audio, you need to make sure that it sound good in multiple environment, so audio engineers have multiple speaker systems with a flat audio profile, that don’t “color” the sound.
Normal HIFI Speakers and headphones, don’t have a flat frequency response, they are boosting different frequency range like the bass.

3 Likes

Now, I understand, the normals I use basically doesn’t output the original audio. And these ones does.

2 Likes

What the picture doesn’t show is that the editing room also needs to be at least somewhat acoustically treated before the benefits of those monitors will be noticeable and useful.

If the room is so small that bass build-up happens in the corners of the room, then the person mixing won’t perceive a flat frequency response due to the room distortions (which includes echo) even though the monitors are flat and neutral. It takes bass traps and usually broadband absorbers or diffusion panels to make the response of the room itself be close to flat (or at least hit a Harman house curve). It usually helps if the speakers are firing down the longest dimension of the room.

Positioning the speakers and mixing position to avoid null points (where new sound waves collide with wall-bounce sound waves and cancel each other out) is another necessity. This is where the common saying of “put the listening position 3/8ths of the way down the long wall” came from, because that wavelength tends to have the least self-cancellation effect. (Some people call it 38% distance, but that’s just three divided by eight rounded up. The real definition is 3/8th resonate frequency wavelength.)

The speakers and the mix position should also be designed such that they create an equilateral triangle. If the speakers are wider or more narrow than equilateral, it will affect the mixer’s perception of stereo imaging. As in, speakers directly to the left and right sides of the mixer’s head mean there is no “phantom center channel” where both speakers are heard in front of you, because they’re literally not in front of you. Similarly, if both speakers were directly in front of you, there would be no sensation of left/right panning. So, many studios and fancy home theaters standardize on an equilateral triangle as a compromise to simulate left, center, and right perception with only two speakers.

Other acoustic considerations are putting isolation pads under the monitors so that the speaker cabinet doesn’t vibrate the desk and turn the desk into an extended speaker or rumble pad. The picture above does not have isolation pads on the inner monitors. Also, speakers should be 12-18 inches from a wall rather than right up against a wall to reduce bass swell and phasing issues.

If room problems aren’t addressed, then the echo and resonance characteristics of the room will ruin the flat response of the speakers, and the person mixing still won’t know what “the truth” is. And they will have spent a lot of money for results that aren’t much better than consumer speakers.

EDIT: Sorry for the brain dump that nobody asked for lol. Audio engineering isn’t discussed often in the forum, and this seemed like a good topic to talk about the hardware and costs involved. If somebody is budgeting to build a home studio and they’re serious about audio, then they need to include the costs of acoustically treating the room as well. The temptation is to spend all of the budget on the latest high-end CPU and GPU, even though the CPU might be half-idle during export anyway. For people seeking high-end results, money is usually better spent on good audio monitors, a treated room, and a calibrated screen so that the person editing a video can accurately see and hear what’s happening in their production. Otherwise, they may be disappointed when they play their video back on somebody else’s device and the reds shift to orange and the audio sounds tinny.

5 Likes

Studio monitors are speakers specifically designed for professional audio production applications such as recording studios, film production, TV studios, broadcast studios and project or home studios where accurate audio reproduction is critical.

1 Like

Yes, I got a ride on his bike today, which is really heavy, and while I was riding he told me that he works in a studio and does audio production there.

P.S:- I first time rided a Royal Enfield, and it’s really heavy, I was about to fall while riding. And now I am ok with my favorite KTM. I say that racing bikes are better then the classics out there. At least in easiness.

Royal Enfield bikes are classics. The first was produced in 1901 and was powered by a 1.5 horsepower engine mounted in front of the handlebars that drove the rear wheel using a long rawhide belt (by comparison Ducati’s Panigale R is rated at 205 horsepower).

1 Like

But I still like my own bike. I do not have muscular body, although I am tall, I can somewhat ride a classic because I have a good height. So maybe a classic would be the choice of my muscular neighbor (wtf I don’t have a muscular body, wish me the best luck because now I am going to make a good muscular body until my b’day which’s 8 april). And for normal like me, a KTM or a Ducati would be mostly the best choice.

Audio monitors are just that - speakers to hear (monitor) audio. If that is a photo of the persons house, it seems they are operating a home recording set up. The computer screens show their DAW which is Digital Audio Workstation. I guess they write/record their own music scores or songs and do video also. Most of us musicians do this.

1 Like

His setup is almost same as the photo, but he uses some more equipments. Which I also don’t know about.

Regarding the DAW, he uses Ableton live suite (that’s what he told me I think) and logic pro.

He doesn’t make any videos, it’s just his profession, he rather likes customizing his bikes, and make them look like a beast, just like the custom muscle cars.

WOW, I don’t even know how to use AUDACITY properly let alone a fantastic machine like this, that’s a professional thing.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.