What does the composite button actually do?

mute, hide, and lock are all self explanatory…but the button that holds the real mystery for me is the composite button. what does it actually do, (i’ve clicked it on an experimental project and noticed nothing happening), and in what situation would i use it? additionally, is there some place i can find a glossary of terms so i don’t sound like a total goober when i post a question i find relevant…any help would be appreciated.

It’s usefull when you do PiP (picture in pictures), add a logo / text little image on the track above or use color keying.

so mostly it’s for bringing everything into one track for saving either as an .mlt or exporting to video you say? for single track editing it does nothing is what i believe you may be trying to tell me…is this the case?

It’s for “superposing” tracks to have the final video, so it’s for multitrack.

It’s for “superposing” tracks to have the final video, so it’s for multitrack.

Does that mean whenever there are multiple video tracks, all tracks should have Composite mode enabled? What happens if it is not enabled for some tracks?

Track V1 by default has compositing off. When adding new video tracks the default compositing is always on. Visualize the tracks as layers. A track above will completely prevent a track(s) below from being viewed when compositing is off.

-=Ken=-

1 Like

If you turn off Composite on any upper track, then it will not reveal anything below it wherever there is footage on that particular track. You can also think of Composite as blended or not and the tracks as layers. If the layer is not set to blend and you put something on it, then nothing below it shows. But also, nothing above with Composite enabled will show either because everything composites with the bottom track (as opposed to compositing from one layer to the next).

1 Like

That’s how I thought it worked, as I tinkered with that for a good few hours to figure it out. I wasn’t sure if there was some more advanced feature with those than what I had seen. Glad to know I was on the right path, lol.