Video Not Filling The Whole Screen in VLC

The screen resolution of my computer’s monitor is 1920 x 1080.

I have created a video with a 16:9 ratio and a resolution of 1920 x 1080. I exported it from Shotcut using the Default profile.

However, when I view the video in VLC Player at 100% (original) zoom, it does not occupy the whole screen, as it should. It maintains the aspect ratio but is reduced in size.

Any thoughts?

Hi @BazzaBoy

In VLC, if you go to Tools > Media Information what is the Video Resolution shown in the Codec tab?

Windows tells you the video is 1920 x 1080
VLC tells you the video is 1920 x 1080
Chances are that your video IS 1920 x 1080

Maybe you need to change something in VLC settings…
Is Always Fit Window checked in the Video menu?
BYeWNINz4o

Yes, it is already checked.

What happens if you open a video (in VLC) that you are sure is 1920x1080?

Same thing. I just shot this video on my Pixel 3.

It looks to me that your video has black bars encoded on the left and right side. Can you go back into Shotcut and crop the picture to remove the black bars?

When I open the video in Shotcut, I don’t see any black bars. So, there is nothing to remove.

When I open the video with Chrome or Irfanview, it does occupy the whole screen as it should. So, perhaps there is something wrong with my copy of VLC. I will try a fresh install of VLC and report back to you.

This is quite a mystery. If you open the exported file in Shotcut, do black bars appear in Shotcut?

When I open the video with Chrome or Irfanview, it does occupy the whole screen as it should. So, perhaps there is something wrong with my copy of VLC. I will try a fresh install of VLC and report back to you.

That option means the window is NOT adjusted to the video size, but instead the video is scaled to “always fit” within the “window.”

1 Like

Yup. That did the trick. I removed the tick mark from that menu item and all is working fine now. Thank you very much shotcut Leader.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.