Video messed up after changing video mode

Hi There
I’m new to this forum, but I’m already using shortcut for some months. I pretty great product, but unfortunately I experiencing some bugs from time to time and I’d like to help to report bugs and make this product better.

Unfortunately I experienced the following issue with 18.06.02:
I created a new video, and I had set settings >> video mode to auto (as a beginner, I let it to auto and did not care).
First I wannted to start with the sound and I imported this track.
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/BoxCat_Games/Nameless_the_Hackers_RPG_Soundtrack/BoxCat_Games_-_Nameless-the_Hackers_RPG_Soundtrack-_10_Epic_Song

After that my video settings has been set by auto to 704x700 with 60fps (I realized this later). Then I started editing and worked for about two hours with my video until it was done. Then I started to export it. After exporting I realized, that the size wasn’t good and I started to change the resolution through settings >> video mode to 1080 30p.
This messed up my whole work completely!! And I was so pissed off and could bite myself in my ass. Two hours work seamed to me for nothing!
You could try it by your self and you’ll see what happening: All my videos (which were shot with 29.97p) has been strength and all the cuts were on different places: Completely messed up!
Finally I was somehow able to save, it by changing back the video mode to something with 60p and export it. Now I have the video with 60p, that’s not what I wanted, but at least I could save my work…

Is there a chance to fix this issue in a future release?

Best regards,

Fabian

Import your video source first.
It’s a video editor after all.

18.07 is available from the downloads page.

Hi Steve
Thanks a lot for your fast response!
You’re right, its a video editor, not an audio editor… of course it’s my fault. But I thought I should be able to resolve my fault afterwards.

Does that mean, that the issue is already fixed? :open_mouth:

Regards,

Fabian

The issue would not manifest if you import your video before the audio, especially when Shotcut video mode is set to Auto.
You can’t really expect Shotcut to set the video mode you want when you first present it with an audio file?
You could also choose the right video mode before importing any files. If you intend exporting at 1080p @ 24fps, choose this mode then import your source.
If you want a different export, don’t change video mode after importing footage, use an export preset when ready to encode. You can create your own custom export presets.

Always good to spend time going through the many tutorials.

That’s right, but the issue seams to happen, because I changed the video mode after I finished my whole project. I totally agree, that this is not the right way to work, but I think the tool should be able to handle changing the video mode without messing up the whole project.

Thanks for your advice, I already watched some of them and they are indeed very valueable! I’ll do so and go trough the other tutorials as well.

Here’s another example:
Slighly other context, I change the video mode in a project after I added some clips to the playlist:

My understanding of this feature of Shotcut is that it allows us to combine videos of different resolutions and framerates, and have them work nicely together.

I think of the Video Mode as the “canvas” on which videos are applied.

Example: you have a 30fps and 60fps video that you want to combine into one 30fps video. Open the 30fps video, which will set the Video Mode to 30fps. Now when you add the 60fps video, it will assume that you want it to ultimately play in 30fps, and rather than matching frame-for-frame, the 60fps video effectively becomes a 30fps video. If you were to then change the Video Mode to 60fps, I believe what happens is that it takes the same 30 frames that were on the 30fps canvas, and stretches them out to fill the larger 60-frame canvas, so your project is now half as long (time-wise) as it was before, and plays at twice the speed.

If you set your Video Mode in advance, everything works well, and it IS working the way it’s intended… that said, it would be a neat feature to have a “Reset Video Mode” option, or something like that, that re-interprets the clips in a project maintaining time rather than frames. It looks like something similar was just added in regards to Keyframes in 18.07 (“Keyframes are now saved in the project file using time clock values instead of frame numbers to make them adaptive to frame rate”) so maybe it will happen someday.

1 Like

Right, that’s a good way of explaining it.