Video Color in Project is More Vibrant Than Original Video

What is your operating system?
macOS

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
Version 21.03.21, not 32-bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

When I edit a project in Shotcut, the colors look more vibrant and saturated than the original video. Then when I export it, the colors are the same as the original video. This is kind of a problem to me because when I color grade my video, the colors don’t come out as I wished. The picture is attached below.

Were you using proxies while editing?

No, I do not see it, and you are comparing two different frames making it more difficult, lighting may have changed a little.

the colors are the same as the original video

What are you using to view the export? Is it the same as what you used when viewing the original? Perhaps this player is a little different that Shotcut’s viewer.

I’m sorry, can you explain what proxies are, I am a bit new.

I am sorry, let me add another picture. I realized it’s a bit hard to tell here.

No proxy. You can see it is not indicated in the screenshot.

I am just using QuickTime, the same as I use to view the final exported video and the original. These are the colors side by side.

I’ll assume not then. :grin: Proxies use a temporary smaller version of the video to make playback faster while editing.

I see the color shift. I’ve seen this problem before.

If you bring the exported final video into Shotcut instead of QuickTime Player, are the colors normal or vibrant?

Also, can you select one of the source clips in Shotcut and send a screenshot of the Properties panel? We need the video information, specifically color range and color space. The same Properties information for the exported video would be helpful too.

This looks similar to 601 vs 709 misinterpretation. There are scenarios that cause QuickTime Player to actually be wrong and Shotcut might be right.

Your screenshot does not show you are using QuickTime. You are viewing a PNG extracted from the video using some tool and then viewed using Preview. All those steps can introduce something different. In Shotcut, I am using values for color based upon standards. I cannot figure out how to make it look like QuickTime and deviate from the standard.

If I bring the exported final video into Shotcut, it will still be vibrant. But if I put it into YouTube, the colors are like the original video. I hope you understand what I am trying to say here. :sob:

Open the original video in Shotcut and choose Properties > menu > More Information and paste or attach the text of that to here please.

Oops, for the video (the first image I put in my topic) I was using QuickTime. (I can’t open pictures with QuickTime).

text.txt (2.2 KB)

This is the video I used in the first picture attached to this topic.

We very much do. The problem is clear. The issue is that there are 100 places in the chain this problem could be occurring and it takes process of elimination to find the root cause.

When you watch YouTube, what browser do you use?

Google Chrome.

The source videos are SMPTE 170M color space which is basically 601. But it’s 1080 resolution which appears to be getting interpreted as 709 somewhere. I’m listing the technical details in case someone else wants to follow along and help troubleshoot. I don’t have a SMPTE 170M source file like yours to test with right off, so it would take me a bit to rig up and find a verified solution. The short story is that your vision is good… there is a color interpretation problem here.

Chrome should display YouTube colors correctly, so we can at least rule that out.

There’s an excellent video here:

which explains that you’ll get different colors, saturation and contrast depending on what you use to watch te video, e.g. Chrome gives a different result from firefox, which is different from VLC, which is different from quicktime…

Ross then points out what you can do to try to alleviate the problem.

That is very likely to be a factor. Next, it would help to know what Video Mode is set to within Shotcut for this project (or however it is being used).
You can also repeat the same thing for More Information on the export file.

? :sob:

1 Like

In the Timeline panel, there is a track head called Output in the upper left corner. Click on it then go to the Properties panel and send us a screenshot of that panel. This is an alternate way of showing us the Video Mode. The Video Mode is basically what resolution, frame rate, and color encoding your project is using. If the Video Mode is different than the source videos, then there is potential for errors during conversion.

Next piece: Bring your exported video into Shotcut and do that Properties > menu > More information > paste thing again so we can see the format of the final video.