Video clip plays when hovered over in 'Playlist' tab

If you have multiple videos in the library, it might be useful if when you hovered over a video in it, it would play a small clip of it to give you an idea of what it is, as a video on YouTube’s recommended section does. :slight_smile:

This is not easy to add, and I do not want to spend much time on it now; so, for the next version I will make the playlist open action (also through double-click) automatically start playing the video in the Source player. I think that and Playlist > menu > Thumbnails > In and Out is sufficient to quickly preview.

1 Like

That’s grand! By the way, Shotcut is a fantastic video editor and I can’t thank you enough for the time you spend on it! Have a good day!

1 Like

If this is going to be done, may I suggest an option be given if that’s what the user wants or a change in some other way? I personally don’t care for it because if I want to start picking clips off the playlist to place in the timeline with shortcut “B”, I don’t want to have to listen to the start of the different clips while doing it. Maybe someone else won’t mind but after testing this change a little it seems a bit bothersome.

Also, this change seems to have undone the recent change you made where dragging clips into the playlist won’t automatically play the clips unlike dragging them directly into the player.

1 Like

I know, but I changed my mind.

I will add an autoplay option in the playlist menu.

I was thinking more about this and I think the change you made before was good. It makes sense that Shotcut would react differently to clips being dragged into the playlist rather than the player. If I drag a clip directly to the player then obviously I want to play the clip right away. But if I am dragging it to the playlist maybe I don’t want to play the clip right away as I could be simply loading up my media for the project. This is especially the case seeing as how you can drag more than one clip to the playlist and obviously when you do that you don’t want to play all those clips at the same time.

Others reading this, please feel free to chime in. :slight_smile:

It caused this regression:

If the Video Mode is set to Automatic and not yet determined, then Shotcut needs to open it to set the video mode.

It only plays the first one.

Ah, okay.

By the way, considering the big changes that were made to how playlist functions, the text that appears in the empty playlist window that gives instructions on how it operates should be updated especially to mention “Open” vs “Copy”.