V18.11 BETA now available

This is a long-standing problem, and I fixed most of the causes, but I need steps in order to fix more causes.

OK, done.

I will think about it. My concern is that beginner or casual users will go into Advanced mode and forget about its toggle and easily get lost again. Meanwhile, I expect more advanced users to create a custom preset after they have done some advanced tweaking.

1 Like

I do not fully understand the question, but I added info to the original post that ought to answer it.

That did indeed answer it

The spot remover filter is working very well.:+1::+1:

Spot begone

1 Like

Were there changes to the text filter? I’m seeing a roughly 12% increase in performance for h264 and about 8% in h264 over the 18.10 although not as fast as pre text filter changes.

No, but there are planned speed improvements for Text, Timer, Rotate and Scale, and Size and Position for v18.12.

1 Like

Interesting, I wonder where the performance change came from then…

Another suggestion I have for this is you could add an option in Settings>User Interface. Something perhaps like “Export Menu” with a choice between Simple and Advanced. Simple would be exactly as it is in this beta build and Advanced would be just as it was before. Whatever is chosen Shotcut will remember that each time the program is started.

This could be seen as a trivial thing (?), but in the drop-down grid menu, shouldn’t the “20 pixel” option be placed above the “10 pixel” option, to maintain the logic that selecting successive grid options creates a smaller grid size each time?

Thank you @shotcut for the new smaller grid sizes. Very useful addition.

Major regression found! Exporting audio only (i.e. disabling video) is not possible as it results in failure every time. That means all 5 of the audio presets are rendered useless. I tested all 5 of the audio presets with ac3 and mp3 files and I could not export any of them. I also threw in a video with AAC audio. Instead of picking one of the audio presets I picked a video preset and disabled the audio manually. It gave me the same failure result.

On another topic I was looking at the Default preset and compared it to the Youtube one. Before the difference was that one was “preset=faster" and the other was “preset=fast”. Now they are both preset=fast. Was that intentional?

And has there been any luck with this bug?

The addition of the Spot Remover filter is appreciated! Thanks! :smiley:

Yes. There are some HW H.264 encoders that respond to preset=fast but not faster. Also, I found the risk of poor quality in some scenes with faster is too high.

Exporting audio only (i.e. disabling video) is not possible as it results in failure every time.

Good find! I fixed this. It was an easy fix thus I do not feel it warrants a new beta.

And has there been any luck with this bug?

Not yet. I want to try to address this and some others before release.

I found that macOS videotoolbox export always fails at the end of the job during some cleanup, but the output file is OK and playable.

Just wondering - have any of the snapping “velocity” (settings) been changed for the beta (or is it me)? Just working on a project with a lot of short clips on the timeline and it they seem to be quite “sticky” and a little sluggish to move around. Hard sometimes to get them moved away from a snapping point.
It could well be my distorted perception though, and if so, could someone please point me to the SC file that gives the snapping settings so I could have a go at tweaking it? Thanks!

The spot remover filter is clashing with the size and position filter. Put in a video and use spot remover. Now pick the size and position filter and it won’t be available. All you see is a little spec in the upper left hand corner when going to size and position on the filters list. If the order is flipped it seems to be okay but when using pictures it something else happens. Using this picture as an example: https://static.pexels.com/photos/97533/pexels-photo-97533.jpeg

Use that image, pick the spot remover then the size and position filter will make the spot remover act strange. The rectangle that’s supposed to contain the spot remover effect and the spot remover effect itself are in two different places. Dragging the boss around will leave the effect itself right above the box and trailing behind it.

A similar problem occurs when using the timer filter on the image in the same order by picking timer first then size and position. Half the numbers in timer will be outside of the box. This is also the same case when trying this with a video. The results with a video and picking the timer filter then size and position will cause the same problem as I described before with spot remover.

The problem is not limited to just that one picture. I tried other pictures of different resolutions and got similar issues.

Speaking of filters I see that saturation is on there twice. One its own and another along with hue and lightness. Isn’t that redundant?

When I shut down this build Shotcut hangs a little before it closes. It didn’t do that before. Is that extra hang before the shutdown part of the new design?

This will not be fixed before release as it is not major enough, but thanks for reporting it.

Speaking of filters I see that saturation is on there twice. One its own and another along with hue and lightness. Isn’t that redundant?

H/L/S operates in YUV, and Saturation operates in RGB. Also, Saturation supports Keyframes while H/L/S does not.

When I shut down this build Shotcut hangs a little before it closes. It didn’t do that before. Is that extra hang before the shutdown part of the new design?

It is a side effect of a bug fix:

There were two parts to this change to try to be more effective, and it is very difficult to determine if both are needed.

I see. Maybe a note should be added to make clear to the user that one filter operates in YUV and the other in RGB since saturation appears twice?

Going back to the topic of the simple export window, how about adding right under the “Export Help” text a “low, medium, high” quality control for video and audio quality? Since it’s meant to be a simple menu a simple control for quality output could be added that would limit it to just those three choices. Of course you would decide what that range would actually mean. And one more thing to add there is to choose if the audio will be mono, stereo or 5.1. Those three are understood by even the layman so it could still be included in a simple menu. There’s certainly plenty of space to add all that.

This is not simple to implement due to the variety of codecs, and it is way out of scope for the beta. But a quality/speed control is planned (at bottom of the unordered to do list on the road map page).

And one more thing to add there is to choose if the audio will be mono, stereo or 5.1.

No

There is no place for that, I will not clutter the simple name with that crap and break translations, and there is no description implemented yet for filters.

Please step back from using this area to make suggestions. You can make a separate post in Suggestions.